Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #1

Share |

Fridge Too Warm Then Too Cold - Help!

I have a Kenmore 596.75239402 fridge.

A few days ago the fridge was much too warm. I noticed the freezer was completely frozen which was likely blocking proper air flow.

I took off the inside back panel of the fridge and melted the ice with a hair dryer.

Plugged her back in and all is good again after a few hours.

Woke up the next day and now my fridge is wayyyy too cold - freezing everything solid.

So I'm thinking since I had both too warm and too cold issues that there is a problem with the damper mechanism as opposed to some of the other parts that could be the issue.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Marc
marcus118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

my first question would be why was the coil all frozen? Defrost problem or was door ajar? Defrost problem can cause both your symptoms. Since its been a few days since you defrosted it has it come back again?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

Defrost system wasn't working properly. After thinking it over some more, I concluded that it had to have been the thermostat that wasn't working since the defrost heater worked fine on a manual forced defrost cycle.

The fridge also came out of the defrost cycle automatically so I also think the timer is fine.

So I ripped out the thermostat and did a continuity test to find that the part was busted.

Ordered a new one and installed it yesterday. Seems to be working fine - defrost system is now automatically kicking into gear.

My only concern now is still with the fridge damper. Doesn't seem to close all the way but then again i'm not sure it's supposed to close all the way (the extent of my refrigerator knowledge is google and youtube lol)

any thoughts?
marcus118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

the damper will never completely close even at set temp, air still needs to circulate