Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:13 AM   #1

Share |

Fridge struggling. Replace with outlet model or go new?

So in another chapter in our new house acquisition, it seems the tiny fridge we have (~15 cu ft) is struggling to meet 51 deg in the fridge and the freezer cycles from a good temp to ~28 deg.

We knew we wanted to replace it in the next six months. Looks like now I should be making a purchase ASAP.

Given the size constraints of the house I have been eying cabinent-depth models. Unfortunately that rules out most bottom-chest freezers out there, so that leaves a side-by-side. There is a Kenmore Elite 4100 that is highly rated, is a little smaller than I hoped at 24 cu ft, but it meets my requirements of a 30" with a handle. Problem is that new is nearly $2600. Sears Outlet pricing I can get it shipped for $1300-$1600.

But I am wary of floor models. It's one thing to buy a refurbished laptop, but a Fridge should last 10 or more years. Yes at the Sears Outlet they include pictures on most things but it still could be a crap shoot.

Otherwise it seems any counter top depth model is going to set me back some serious coin. I could try to find the largest and cheapest fridge I can find that will get us through the year, and then I could move that unit downstairs. But for some reason I really dislike the idea of running two fridges in the house. I don't mind a secondary freezer, but two fridges for some reason just irks me.

Thoughts?

LTParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTParis View Post
...the fridge we have (~15 cu ft) is struggling to meet 51 deg in the fridge and the freezer cycles from a good temp to ~28 deg.
...a Fridge should last 10 or more years.
A Refrigerator should last twenty years.
How old is the one you have now?

When you do replace it get the most R/F as will fit in the space you have
but don't spend more than $1000 to do that.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #3

We estimate the one we have came from the mid to late 80s so it's well beyond it's age now.

I've been trying to set the ceiling of price to $1000, but other than the outlet models I am not finding anything that is nice.

And the additional kicker in this is the current fridge's depth is a whopping 24.25" which means for the next year (or however long it will take for us to redo the kitchen) it will have to go into the dining room. Here is the picture of the offending fridge (pre us moving in) and the limited space we have right now.

Last edited by LTParis; 05-14-2012 at 06:41 AM.
LTParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

if your not ready to purchase a new refrig at this time, why not have a tech come in and fix your current refrig. The problem you describe is fixable. When you are ready for a new refrig. you can either move your current one to the basement or garage or sell it with no problem, people are always looking for used refrigs and will pay top dollar for a good clean one. BTW that is a ridiculous price for a built in refrig, there is no reason you can not find one for around $1500.00 - $1700.00.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
A Refrigerator should last twenty years.
How old is the one you have now?
yeah right, not anymore. 10-12 years is the expectations these days.