Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #1

Share |

Fridge seems to be in constant defrost mode?

I have a GE Profile TPX24 series side by side, not sure of exact model as the sticker shows it could be a PR, BR, or SR one.

It suddenly stopped cooling properly.....it's still cooling, just not as cold.

Before all this, if I opened and closed either door, I could hear something kick on upon closing. That no longer happens.

The fan in the freezer section is running, constantly it seems, and the case will get warm ( actually really warm to borderline hot ) around the perimeter where the door seals meet the case. It's much warmer from halfway down to the bottom of the case, and it happens on both freezer and fresh side.

I opened the freezer a little while ago and it was registering about 22*, with the "hot sides". I just checked now and the temp is about 30/31*, BUT, the sides of the fridge are no longer warm/hot.

I have no idea on it's vintage, but I'm going to guess at least 10 if not 15 years old. It has no digital/electronic controls-----the temperature controls are 2 sliders in the fridge and the dispenser is the same, two sliders.

Any thoughts on what to check and/or monkey with first? A quick cursory Googling mentioned something about resetting the defrost control.

Thanks

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #2

Need the whole model #.
http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHe...ot-cold-enough

Old 06-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #3

Defrost timers typically will go bad and stick. If you can find the location of the timer ( usually underneath behind the toekick panel) you may be able to turn it past where it currently is and see if that is the problem. Replacements are not too expensive and are easy to replace.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #4

Thanks...

Sticker inside says it's a TPX24SRY, but I didn't see that exact one on the link.
What is the fan on the inside, that seems to be blowing 24/7, condenser or evap fan? I'm guessing evap fan, going on a car's AC system.

BTW, freezer temp down to 19* and the sides of the case are back to being hot.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

hot sides, hot center mullion would indicate that your condenser fan motor is probably not operating or your condenser coil is full of dirt, lint, dog hair, or whatever....
Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #6

Condenser fan croaked....HWM gets the prize for his internet diagnostic prowess. $100 internet dollars to him.

Replaced the fan, which was identical to the 15 year old one I took out save for one tiny detail.....instead of being stamped "Made in the USA", it was stamped made in another land.....

Back in business. Even gave me the opportunity to evict Mickey and Minnie, who furnished themselves a deluxe little vacation home in the back of it.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
Condenser fan croaked....HWM gets the prize for his internet diagnostic prowess. $100 internet dollars to him.
and just how do I go about collecting and spending these internet dollars???