Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #1

Share |

Fridge Problem

I have a small GE fridge 4.3 cu ft.. only 15 months old
http://products.geappliances.com/App...Sku=GMR04HASCS

In order for too get it to work you have to turn the thermostat as far as it will go to coldest... if you put it to were it suppose too go, it will not run at all,.
would the thermostat need replacing...

Last edited by rick31797; 06-04-2012 at 07:34 PM.
rick31797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Fridge Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick31797 View Post
I have a small GE fridge 4.3 cu ft.. only 15 months old
http://products.geappliances.com/App...Sku=GMR04HASCS

In order for too get it to work you have to turn the thermostat as far as it will go to coldest... if you put it to were it suppose too go, it will not run at all,.
would the thermostat need replacing...
yes

Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #3

Fridge Problem

Can somebody tell me how these compact fridges work.. there are no coils at the back of the fridge... also i dont see any openings inside the fridge for air flow, and i also dont here any fan running.. is this possible, and how do they keep cold..
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Fridge Problem

they work on the exact same principal as a deep freeze, instead of coils in the back or below the unit they are built into the walls of the box. Next time your refrig is running feel the exterior of the refrig. it will be warm. no fans inside or out.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #5

Fridge Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
they work on the exact same principal as a deep freeze, instead of coils in the back or below the unit they are built into the walls of the box. Next time your refrig is running feel the exterior of the refrig. it will be warm. no fans inside or out.
....and the back of the fridge (inside) should have a panel which is the cooling coil, feel the back of the fridge. The compressor is behind the "hump" at the bottom of the fridge and the coil is right above it.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #6

Fridge Problem

Ok i get it, i am still not sure the thermostat needs replacing, this fridge is my daughters so i took a look at it yesterday,,,when i got there they had the temp, as far as it could go, and it didnt feel very cold, and the fridge was running,,

I went and got a thermometer too put inside it... when i left the thermometer was in the green, ( the right Temp and the control was set back about 3/4 to full setting..I told them to leave it for a day and dont open the door, see if they need to turn the temp back more to keep the temp in the fridge normal.

One thing i did notice , which may be causing the problem, is there was some ice build up , not alot, underneath the freezer pan, at the back of the pan is the wire for the thermostat.. maybe this is effecting the temp setting..
Old 06-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Fridge Problem

there should be no ice or frost build up underneath, if it is touching the temp sensor bulb then yes it will affect the temps. If ice is build up underneath it may be a sign of bigger problems tho
Old 06-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #8

Fridge Problem

Oops, I mistaken thought your refrigerator was without a freezer. Those without a freezer have the cooling coil on the inside back wall while those with a freezer do not, the bottom of the freezer is the cooling coil....so sorry.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #9

Fridge Problem

Quote:
Oops, I mistaken thought your refrigerator was without a freezer. Those without a freezer have the cooling coil on the inside back wall while those with a freezer do not, the bottom of the freezer is the cooling coil....so sorry.
No problem, thanks for the all the information, i understand whats going on, with it..They have made this so you can keep it tight to the wall,,
Old 06-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #10

Fridge Problem

If there is an ice buildup, unplug for a day or two then plug it back in. You'll need to thaw everything out. possibly a leak or the coils are dirty.

Protocol. is offline   Reply With Quote