Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #1

Share |

Fridge out of whack...

Greetings everyone! This will be quick...lol

I have a fridge that is doing something kind of strange and I was wondering if anyone here could help me figure out why.

The inside of it has a layer of ice in the bottom of it but nothing in the thing gets cold. How can it keep this half inch thick layer of ice frozen yet still be a solid 75-80 degrees? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
rmp5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #2

Fridge out of whack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp5s View Post
Greetings everyone! This will be quick...lol

I have a fridge that is doing something kind of strange and I was wondering if anyone here could help me figure out why.

The inside of it has a layer of ice in the bottom of it but nothing in the thing gets cold. How can it keep this half inch thick layer of ice frozen yet still be a solid 75-80 degrees? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sounds like something may be blocked.
Turn off the refrigerator and let the ice melt. Once it's gone, turn the unit back on.
Make sure the freezer and the fridge aren't super packed, as it will restrict air flow.
How old is the unit?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #3

Fridge out of whack...

It's not super full...we just use it for bottles of water. I was thinking it was a lack of circulation but I don't get how it can be so warm in there, yet still have such a thick layer of ice.

I have no idea how old it is.

I'll try unplugging it for a while and letting the ice melt. Thanks!
rmp5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Fridge out of whack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Sounds like something may be blocked.
Turn off the refrigerator and let the ice melt. Once it's gone, turn the unit back on.
Make sure the freezer and the fridge aren't super packed, as it will restrict air flow.
How old is the unit?
Two things in refrigeration can cause ice, lack of air flow or low on refrigerant. Both will cause no cooling.

In your home if you block the return air grill off the evaporator coil will freeze up, lack of air flow.

If you have a refrigerant leak and the level becomes low, the evaporator will freeze up.

The principles of all refrigeration, from air conditioning to walk in coolers to frigdes, is all the same.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #5

Fridge out of whack...

I don't understand the science but my freezer did the same thing. Found ice along the top edge inside the door and some stuff in the door was melting. Family left the door ajar while I was away. I knocked the ice off, made sure the door was closed securely and no more problems.

Check your seal around the door and that it closes properly.
speedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Fridge out of whack...

the ice is insulating the coil temp that would give you 40F in the milk side and freeze the foods...is there a fan for both top and bottom...and definitly a loose door seal with cause ice..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #7

Fridge out of whack...

Yeah, whenever ice builds up it always cause problems. Just defrost it and it usually goes back to normal.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote