Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

Fridge leaking

I noticed that there was water on the ground under and around my fridge, which has no freezer. The pan underneath was full and overflowing, so I pulled it out and emptied it. That was last night. I noticed this morning that there was water in the pan again, about 1 sixth full.

The black round thing about the size of a volley ball inside the back of my fridge, which I assume is the compressor, is very hot. Too hot to touch.

But the fridge is working. Maybe too cold. I turned it down from "5" to "3" on the dial.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong here. We are currently going through a very warm spell. I don't know if that is a factor.

Thanks,

BCSapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

Fridge leaking

Nothing is wrong. All refrigerators and air conditioners give off water, condensed from the air.

The more you open the refrigerator door and the more humid the air in and outside the house is, the more water will be condensed and have to be drained off.

Also, food should be covered to reduce drying out where that water also condenses on the cooling coils and has to be drained away.

The refrigerator should not be pressed up against the wall behind and air must be able to circulate around it on all sides and on top.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-21-2012 at 10:21 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
BCSapper (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #3

Fridge leaking

Check the door seals, A simple check with a dollar bill will tell you if it's leaking.
Your put the bill over the seal and close the door. It should be hard to pull out.
Check it all around the door.
The compressor is always hot. Yours may be hotter because it's having to run so much because of a seal leak.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
BCSapper (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #4

Fridge leaking

Thanks guys, that's reassuring.

I have been having some trouble with the door not closing by itself. I'll have to pay more attention to it.
BCSapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Fridge leaking

unless you have a huge air leak, door standing open, there is no reason you would get a full tray of condensation water in a days time.