Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fridge Broken

Hi,

First Post - First problem. I have a Kenmore side-by-side fridge/freezer. Model 596.51673100. It's basically a rebranded Amana. The other day I noticed that the light in the water/ice dispenser was out, so I removed it, went to HD and bought a replacement: 15w indicator light I think. I went home, installed the new bulb and heard a very loud POP! I cursed, removed the new bulb, installed a second bulb, and it didn't work, neither do any of the LEDs on the control board. Pressing in the dispense "button" for water/ice turns the auger in the ice box, but does not open the door for the ice to leave. I cannot select any buttons for "Cube," "Crush," "Water," etc to change the function and none of the LEDs work. I took the area apart and see that there isn't much there. Couldn't find a fuse.

I feel like the control board for the water/ice dispenser is blown, but have no way to verify it. The OE part is 12559201. I'm bit leary to spend $75 on a replacement board to find out that it isn't right, nor do I want to spend $200 on a service call if it's just that board. Can any one provide any advice? Does it make sense that this board is dead, or is there a fuse I should check some where?

Also, does it make sense at all that replacing a light bulb could damage the board or any other part excepting a fuse? The unit is a few years old and out of warranty, but I find it a bit rediculous that changing a user-servicable part causes the need of a serious repair. Should I be able to get this repair covered by either the manufacturor or the bulb company even though it is out of warranty, or am I just SOL?

Thanks,

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Fridge Broken

Hi,

Quote:
I have a Kenmore side-by-side fridge/freezer. Model 596.51673100.
Yupper, an Amana built Kenmore.

Quote:
The other day I noticed that the light in the water/ice dispenser was out, so I removed it
Was the bulb bad?

Quote:
I went home, installed the new bulb and heard a very loud POP! I cursed, removed the new bulb, installed a second bulb, and it didn't work, neither do any of the LEDs on the control board. Pressing in the dispense "button" for water/ice turns the auger in the ice box, but does not open the door for the ice to leave. I cannot select any buttons for "Cube," "Crush," "Water," etc to change the function and none of the LEDs work. I took the area apart and see that there isn't much there. Couldn't find a fuse.
No fuse.
Very possible something happened to the board and it went good-bye when the new light was installed.
We would normally check the wire harness ( in the hinge ) to make sure none of the wires have worn, cut or broken. Normally would check the dispensor door solenoid and switches to make sure they are not shorted/binding/burnt causing the board to fail before replacing the board.

Quote:
The OE part is 12559201. I'm bit leary to spend $75 on a replacement board to find out that it isn't right
The manufacturer has replaced part number 12559201 with this item, part number 67003622.
I find that part a bit more than $75.00

Board, dispenser control, 5 button

Quote:
Should I be able to get this repair covered by either the manufacturor or the bulb company even though it is out of warranty, or am I just SOL?
JMO - SOL

jeff.

www.jrappliance.ca
jeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Fridge Broken

Thanks Jeff....Kinda. Thank you for the response, even though it's not quite what I wanted to hear. filament in the bulb was broken. I had no reason to suspect that anything bad would happen by replacing it. I will check the locations you mention for wear and attempt to prevent a short killing a second board. Any pins in the board's wire harness you can tell me about checking with a vo metre to check for a short? I see no visible damage, no blown transisters or whatever on the controller.

As for the part number, that does lead me to a second question. I couldn't find this part on Marcone, but I didn't try super hard. When I searched on Sears PartsDirect, I was told that 67003622 is a replacement, as you mention, and that part retails for $121. They also list 67003001 as a replacement, which is $75. In my experience, if I order a part based on that information and it is not truly a replacement, it will be returned. Regardless, is there any reason to think that 67003001 is not a valid replacement? If I have to get 67003622 or pay for a tech, I will likely forgo the repair and either deal with it or replace the unit...staying away from Amana for a long time. I know that they all build the same stuff, and it may be "hard" to fault them for a 6+ year unit failing, but it's equally hard for me to stomach that failure occuring because I changed a light bulb.

Any other thoughts or advice?

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Fridge Broken

Quote:
filament in the bulb was broken. I had no reason to suspect that anything bad would happen by replacing it.
Just one of those things

Quote:
Any pins in the board's wire harness you can tell me about checking with a vo metre to check for a short?
No diagram online to see, one comes with the refrigerator. Would more of a visual check.

Quote:
I was told that 67003622 is a replacement, as you mention, and that part retails for $121. They also list 67003001 as a replacement, which is $75.
The manufacturer has replaced part number 67003001 with this item, part number 67003622.
*If* they still have one of the cheaper ones, hope you get it

jeff.
www.jrappliance.ca
jeff1 is offline   Reply With Quote