Fresh Food Section Freezing - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 111

Fresh Food Section Freezing

My GE Monogram ZISS420DRASS is freezing in the fresh food section. I have run all the diagnostic codes through the temperature display and everything passed. I can see that the dampers are working properly and staying closed. No matter what temp is selected, the fresh food section drops to between 24 and 27 degrees, while the freezer section stays between 6 and 9 degrees when it is set for 0.
Any ideas?

Advertisement

JamesRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 640

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ge...ap3185407.html. serial number will tell us the age. I would start by ohming out the thermistors. I really only know about my own fridge, but I learned alot fixing it.

Advertisement

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mj12 For This Useful Post:
JamesRW (07-27-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ge...ap3185407.html. serial number will tell us the age. I would start by ohming out the thermistors. I really only know about my own fridge, but I learned alot fixing it.
Serial #LG030707 - so are you saying that even though all the thermistors passed the diagnostics, one or more could still be malfunctioning?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 680

http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHe...d-ZISS420DRASS
JamesRW (07-27-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRW View Post
Serial #LG030707 - so are you saying that even though all the thermistors passed the diagnostics, one or more could still be malfunctioning?
I am going with a Damper. Worst thing appliance manufacturers and vehicle manufacturers ever did, was go with computer controlled dampers, that use plastic gears, that wear out.

The way to reset them in a vehicle, is remove power, then hook back up the battery to let them cycle. There should be the same method for the computer controlled dampers in your fridge. You can tell if they are going bad, due to you will hear a grinding noise with a click.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
JamesRW (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #6

Thanks for all the information.
Went through everything again - found there are actually three moving dampers - one at the top of the fresh food side, and two at the bottom. The bottom 2 operate the "Quick Chill" drawer (one on the freezer side and one on the fresh food side.)
The lower freezer one is stuck open. Since the "Quick Chill" drawer causes more problems that it's worth in my house - (like filling the drawer with fruit and/or produce and someone hitting the "meat" temp and freezing it all!) - I've decided to insert a piece of styrofoam in the plastic grill cover in front of the damper and NOT replace the part for the time being.
(I have already plugged the hole with a thick towel to check this theory.)
So far the fridge has recovered to a steady 37-38 degrees, the freezer is holding at 0, and inside the "Quick Chill" drawer is 40 - perfect for produce.

Advertisement