Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #1

Share |

Freezer wont work after move

I moved an older Amana u23C upright freezer from a friends house to my own. In transport (3 miles) we placed the freezer on it's side. When we got it home we immediately placed it back upright and waited about 3 days to plug it back in. When we picked up the freezer it was completely frozen and obviously working, when we plugged it in it would only get cool, about the temp of a fridge. I did some basic troubleshooting including unplugging it and letting it thaw out completely. Now when I plug it in it doesn't get cold at all although I hear the compressor turn on.
A friend said that if you tilt a freezer the wrong direction it will "kill it" but she was unsure what exactly happened to do such a thing, just that she was told it would be a costly repair. Is this true?
The freezer was free, spending money for a repair guy would not be cost effective and I have no way to transport it even if we did choose that option.

Melsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #2

Your friend is probably right. I believe it has something to do with the oil in the compressor getting messed up/displaced when you put it on its side.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #3

I'm no technician at all but I used to work managing an appliance and furniture store. I was under the impression that you need to wait at least an hour for the liquid freon in the tubing to go back to its normal reservoir before running an appliance if it has been on it's side. Three days your are probably fine. If it was all iced up that could mean low freon and the later no cooling could mean that it just has a leak that may or not have gotten worse. In atlanta here we have a company that will do fixed rate service call diagnostic for like $18, might see if that is available near you.
tkolarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

The reason you used to have to let a ref/freezer sit after moving was that they used bromide, and it had to settle.
I would plug it in and walk away. Come back in a day or so and see what happened.
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold View Post
The reason you used to have to let a ref/freezer sit after moving was that they used bromide, and it had to settle.
I would plug it in and walk away. Come back in a day or so and see what happened.
bromide?????? really?????? where to hell did you ever come up with that?????
Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

the reason you must let a refrig sit upright for a period of time if you lay it down is because the oil in the compressor gets into the tubing. If you fire it up right away that oil can and will plug up the cap tube causing it to not cool properly or not at all. Leaving it sit upright for 24 hours should be long enough for it to settle back into the compressor.
Most likely what happened to your unit is during transport it developed a leak in the tubing somewhere. Now you have a very old freezer with a refrigerant leak and to compound your problem your system uses R12 , time to call the scrap man.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
bromide?????? really?????? where to hell did you ever come up with that?????
Here..educate yourself a little..

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator
Old 08-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

ok, I think the key word there is ABSORPTION refrigerator
Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold View Post
did you even read your reference article? Did you understand the part about how bromide is used?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 PM   #10

WTF is wrong with you? And why are you picking a fight with me?
Piss off!
And yes I know what the bromide is used for, as well as sulfur dioxide, and ammonia. All absorbtion systems.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

your the one that brought up the bromide, just pointing out your inaccuracy. No reason to get all pissy.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #12

And what was that inaccuracy?
The bromide and sulfur dioxide refrigerators had to sit upright for a period of time after moving. Modern refrigerators don't. Oil is not going to clog the cap tube. The compressor will pull it back, just like it does all day long, everyday.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #13
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

since you will always want to get the last word in and since you obviously know little about domestic refrigeration, I will just let this thread die.
Big N8 (08-23-2011), del schisler (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Cold
In all fairness he DID say 'used to have to'. I remember those units too.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #15
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
I remember those units too.
maybe if you lived in a third world country or an RV