Freezer Rapidly Defrosting - Please Help! - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Freezer rapidly defrosting - please help!

We have a 4.4 cubic foot Sanyo fridge/freezer unit. It's been incredibly annoying because every few months the frost builds up to the point where it's impossible to close the door. Sometimes I unplug it and take it outside to defrost completely. But when it's full of stuff I can't do that, so I'll just chip away at the ice with a screwdriver to buy some time.

I was doing that yesterday and I hit something with the screwdriver. I heard a hissing noise and saw a white cloud of gas? coming out of the bottom panel of the freezer. After a while both the hissing and cloud stopped, but for the last 12 hours the freezer has been rapidly defrosting.

I'm wondering what I hit and whether it will affect the functioning of the refrigerator portion of the unit. I could care less about the freezer - in fact, I'd rather it doesn't work. Also wondering about the health implications about a possible leak. Is it freon leaking? If so, I've read that it can cause palpitations and cardiovascular effects, especially in dogs (we have one).

Finally, if I did damage something, is there anything I can do or will it be cheaper to just get a new fridge?

Thanks.

Advertisement

switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You have wrecked the sysytem
That was freon coming out
It would probably be less to buy a new unit

Use hot water or a hair dryer in the future
I threw a fit when I saw my wife chipping away at ice in our freezer

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your reply. I was afraid that was the case. Oh well, live and learn. But I won't be dealing with it in the future because this time I'm definitely getting an "all refrigerator" unit with no freezer.

So does this mean that the unit will be completely unable to keep anything cold within a few hours?
switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yup, no freon = no cooling
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

You have done the ultimate and worst no-no when it comes to taking care of a refrigerator or freezer.

The hole can be patched but the patch is just glued on and there is a large chance it could fail again suddenly by itself and release the Freon again. So best bet is a new 'fridge. Now if they welded the hole then repairing would make sense.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-02-2010 at 09:24 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote