Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to CornfieldsRus
Share |

Flooded Gas Water Heater

hope someone can help me. i went down to my basement yesterday morning and found over a foot of water. the water heater is a gas unit and was flooded as well. after i got the sump pump working and 24 hours of dry time the thing still wont work. the pilot light will come on when i hold down the gas knob and light it, but it wont stay lit after i turn up the thermostat. when i turn the thermostat up it lights up then slowly dies out.

any help appreciated, i cant afford a new water heater right now. rough time in my life and this is just insult to injury
CornfieldsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to CornfieldsRus

Flooded Gas Water Heater

well i wallered around down there and took the side cover off, and tried it again. this time pilot light lit right up, and then when i turned the thermostat on the thing fired right up. i figure it just needs to dry out, because when i try to put the cover back on it must rob it of oxygen because the flame will go out.

get this......... damn pressure valve crapped out on me at the same time. i noticed it dripping...so i cranked it open and half of an o ring came out. so got me a new pressure valve and all is well.

will give this thing 24 hours to run with the side off before i attempt to put it back on. prolly just needs to dry out well. hopefully im not an idiot and burn my damn house down. ill keey a close eye on it
CornfieldsRus is offline   Reply With Quote