Fisher Paykel Dryer Issue - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fisher paykel dryer issue

I have my Fisher&Paykel dryer installed in a non air conditioned room in Arizona. It appears as though the heat only runs for a few minutes of the cycle, then shuts off ( I measured current draw - it draws about 21 amps, then drops to .5 amps). Is this due to a malfunction in the dryer, or the high ambient temp in the room? Is there any solution to this?

Advertisement

Gdgarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Without you taking ambient air temps in the space that it is, no one can answer your question.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

The temp in the room gets up over 110 f.

I'm trying to find out if there's a sensor in the dryer to shut off the heat when it gets too hot.

Last edited by Gdgarth; 08-11-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 712

Posting the model # always helps.
Tried contacting the manufacture?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Posting the model # always helps.
Tried contacting the manufacture?
Joe, the problem is not with the dryer, it is the fact that it is in an unconditioned space, so the overheat protection is kicking in.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdgarth View Post
The temp in the room gets up over 110 f.
That there is your problem. You need to find a way to condition that space, to bring it down below at least 85 or lower.

Quote:
I'm trying to find out if there's a sensor in the dryer to shut off the heat when it gets too hot.
You are looking at playing with fire literally. You tamper with the sensor, by disabling it, the dryer will not run, due to part of the on board computer, checks all sensors to make sure they are operating. Also it is there to shut down the unit, in case a fire starts, so that power and heat is shut down, before lint catches on fire.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 712

At those temp. why use a dryer. Just hang some clothes lines inside the room.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #8

Greg:

I'm not thinking of disabling a sensor - just trying to see if the dryer is defective, or if it just shuts off the heat when it hits a set temp.

After monitoring a cycle, it looks like the heat element cycles on and off. I suspect it runs until it warms to a set temp, then cycles off.

It makes sense when you think about it - it could be bad if the heating element rain all the time. For what it's worth, the air exhausting frm the dryer is about the same temp as it was in our old home in Nebraska.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdgarth View Post
Greg:

I'm not thinking of disabling a sensor - just trying to see if the dryer is defective, or if it just shuts off the heat when it hits a set temp.

After monitoring a cycle, it looks like the heat element cycles on and off. I suspect it runs until it warms to a set temp, then cycles off.

It makes sense when you think about it - it could be bad if the heating element rain all the time. For what it's worth, the air exhausting frm the dryer is about the same temp as it was in our old home in Nebraska.
The dryer is not defective, your space you have it in, is defective. Also if the room you had it in in Nebraska was always high temps, it is not good for them. All you have done is shorten the life of the appliance. Also with the fact that some have a self-test built in, before they operate, the appliance most likely would never start if you disabled that sensor.

When was the last time you took off the back, to clean all the lint out, along with making sure the dryer vent line is clear of all lint inside it?

Electronics, or devices with electronic circuits in them, do not like high temps to operate in. F&P would state in the manual what the recommended operating temps should be for that appliance.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #10

I don't understand why you keep referring to me disabling the sensor - you even quoted my response where I stated very clearly that I had no plan to do that. My initial question was whether or not this dryer had something that shut down the heating element at high temps.

There's nothing in the manual regarding ambient temps. The safety over temp shut off has to be manually reset - this happened one time while it was still under warranty. I suspect this dryer turns the heat on and off as needed. It probably did the same thing at our old house - I just never checked the current draw.

Yes, I cleaned all the lint when we moved. It was in an air conditioned room in Nebraska.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

If you disable the sensor to test to see if it is bad, and attempt to run the dryer, the dryer will not run. You can check to see if it is bad, if you have a Digital Multi-Meter and know what the Ohms that it should read.

You can go to http://www.repairclinic.com and they should have info on checking what may be wrong. I would contact Fisher Paykel regarding this issue.

Yes, there is a limit to how hot of a space these residential units can operate in, before they overheat and go into shut down mode. Commercial units do not, since most times they operate in areas that can be 110 at the highest temp.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

the dryer heating element will always cycle on and off. What you need to do is check your exhaust temp., I would not worry one bit about ambient room temp. BTW, is the dryer drying clothes as it is supposed to or are you just concerned about the cycling?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
the dryer heating element will always cycle on and off. What you need to do is check your exhaust temp., I would not worry one bit about ambient room temp. BTW, is the dryer drying clothes as it is supposed to or are you just concerned about the cycling?
Te dryer was taking too long to dry. In trouble shooting, I discovered the outlet was restricted - fixed that and it dried ok - but I noticed the heating element was turning on and off.

I don't think there's a problem at this point.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,070

heating element will cycle on and off as the temp inside the drum is reached. Sounds like everything is fine.

Advertisement