Fireplace Won't Start - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Fireplace won't start

My firepplace is turned on by a 'wall switch'. Since it's near Nov. 1, I thought I'd try it out. When I turn on the wall switch, the pilot flame turns on, but after that nothing happens. The pilot flame just keeps burning. I know nothing about gas-heating 'technology' and I am very concerned about blowing my home up. Any suggestions? I cleaned the glass (both sides) in March of this year. I don't 'think' I did anything to disrupt the units' operation then. but I didn't test it after cleaning. I moved into this home in 2008 and have had no problems with the fireplace 'til now.


Bleega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 738
Rewards Points: 500

Does the pilot light turn on when you flip the switch, like you wrote, or does it stay on all the time?


hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Jackofall1's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 2,822
Rewards Points: 2,000

Hello Bleega, and welcome the best darn DIY'r spot on the internet.

Not seeing what you have and you not knowing what you have, I would strongly suggest calling in a service technician. This is best and safest route I can suggest.

When its all said and done there is usually more said than done
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
custom user
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 239
Rewards Points: 150

I can't imagine why the wall switch would turn on the pilot light. Are you sure it isn't on regardless? And that the gas control is set to ON? They make their own electricity (750mV at best) when the thermopile is properly heated, which holds the main burner valve open when the wall switch completes the circuit. So, no heat=no electricity and the gas valve be closed. At least the ones I'm familiar with. More info you provide the better answers you'll get.
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
hardwareman's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,845
Rewards Points: 1,600

agree with Jasper here, there is usualy an on off switch somewhere on the fireplace. You may have hit it when you were cleaning it. and by all means if you are unsure call in a tech.
................."I want a house that has gotten over all its troubles. I dont' want to spend the rest of life bringing up a young and inexperienced house"...........
hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stone Veneer (ledgestone) fireplace remodel questions Augy Remodeling 11 09-17-2013 04:57 PM
Can I mount my flatscreen inside the fireplace opening? minpin Home Theater 15 03-04-2013 01:03 AM
How to go about replacing fireplace surround? NewHomeDIYGuy Remodeling 9 01-26-2012 09:56 PM
Gas fireplace question - Who will save me? Pig General DIY Discussions 12 08-10-2010 09:34 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1