Fireplace Won't Start - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fireplace won't start

My firepplace is turned on by a 'wall switch'. Since it's near Nov. 1, I thought I'd try it out. When I turn on the wall switch, the pilot flame turns on, but after that nothing happens. The pilot flame just keeps burning. I know nothing about gas-heating 'technology' and I am very concerned about blowing my home up. Any suggestions? I cleaned the glass (both sides) in March of this year. I don't 'think' I did anything to disrupt the units' operation then. but I didn't test it after cleaning. I moved into this home in 2008 and have had no problems with the fireplace 'til now.

Advertisement

Bleega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Fireplace won't start

Does the pilot light turn on when you flip the switch, like you wrote, or does it stay on all the time?

Advertisement

hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fireplace won't start

Hello Bleega, and welcome the best darn DIY'r spot on the internet.

Not seeing what you have and you not knowing what you have, I would strongly suggest calling in a service technician. This is best and safest route I can suggest.

Mark
Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
custom user

Rewards Points: 150

Fireplace won't start

I can't imagine why the wall switch would turn on the pilot light. Are you sure it isn't on regardless? And that the gas control is set to ON? They make their own electricity (750mV at best) when the thermopile is properly heated, which holds the main burner valve open when the wall switch completes the circuit. So, no heat=no electricity and the gas valve be closed. At least the ones I'm familiar with. More info you provide the better answers you'll get.
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,060

Fireplace won't start

agree with Jasper here, there is usualy an on off switch somewhere on the fireplace. You may have hit it when you were cleaning it. and by all means if you are unsure call in a tech.