Fireplace Mantle - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 272

Fireplace Mantle

Hi All

How do i remove the fireplace mantle. There is a tremendous amount of draft coming from the bottom section of the Louvre section of the fireplace.

Why, i want to confirm that the hole to outside was properly insulated, ie. there isnt a gap between the venting pipe and the brick wall (at least from the inside)

PTMD
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace Mantle-20140106_192519.jpg   Fireplace Mantle-20130123_194001.jpg  

Advertisement

Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 370

Fireplace Mantle

Do you know how it was assembled? Was it a kit or custom built? My fireplace surround was built in place and would be extremely difficult to take it apart without doing damage. Could you possibly get a scope camera to look into the hole instead of taking the mantle apart? Perhaps something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/Digital...tm_source=1040

Advertisement

chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,400

Fireplace Mantle

The problem with removing the mantle, is you may damage it or the wall. It is probably held in place by countersunk finishing nails or wood screws, which have been puttied over and painted making it hard to remove without damaging something. As mentioned above, scoping is a good alternative.

All fire places can be a little drafty. Instead of trying to remove the mantle, try to address the issue by covering the louvers when not in use to save money on gas and electric. With magnetic covers something like this. Click on link. Just a thought.

mantle cover

Last edited by jmon; 01-06-2014 at 11:10 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 712

Fireplace Mantle

Just looks like a prefab cabinet model surround to me.
http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/bro...telShelves.pdf

Should be able to just cut what looks like a caulk line against the wall and slide it out.
jmon (01-06-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #5

Fireplace Mantle

Hi All,

thanx for the responses.

the mantle was with the house when we bought it, so i am unsure, but it does look a lot like a prefabricated one mentioned by joecaptain.

Gotta see if i can get my hands on a scope.

I definitely dont want to damage the mantle or the wall. Wife would kill me. The mantle is caulked, i could cut that away and see if i could push. But i remember seeing staples or nails in the basement underneath, maybe ill take some pix.

i could also tackle it from the outside. Remove the vent box and see from there no?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Fireplace Mantle

No way are you seeing anything under the floor that has anything to do with that mantel.
There subfloor or flooring nails or staples.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #7

Fireplace Mantle

The make and model are right there on a metal plate in that insert. Go on line and lookup the install directions.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #8

Fireplace Mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No way are you seeing anything under the floor that has anything to do with that mantel.
There subfloor or flooring nails or staples.
thanx - let me get back home and take a look.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

Fireplace Mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
The problem with removing the mantle, is you may damage it or the wall. It is probably held in place by countersunk finishing nails or wood screws, which have been puttied over and painted making it hard to remove without damaging something. As mentioned above, scoping is a good alternative.

All fire places can be a little drafty. Instead of trying to remove the mantle, try to address the issue by covering the louvers when not in use to save money on gas and electric. With magnetic covers something like this. Click on link. Just a thought.

mantle cover
I can't tell if that's a direct-vent fireplace (i.e. combustion air comes from outside the home) or normally vented (comes from inside the home). If it's not direct-vent, jmon's advice about covering the louvers may be your best bet.

Unless the builder did a better than average job, there's a good chance that the draft is coming from the framing cavity in general, and all the openings and penetrations from wiring, plumbing, etc. You might take some insulating spray foam down into the basement or crawl space and close any holes you can see.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #10

Fireplace Mantle

first off - joe you are right, those are framing staples.

The amount of wind that is coming out from the mantle can blow out a candle and we can feel the draft at least 8 ft away from the fireplace. Slight exaggeration, but it feels that way.

I saw a video from "This old house" on how to install a fireplace mantle (the mantle looked similar to my mantle, just that my version is deeper). So i figured its got to be the same methodology.

So then, i decided to take a another look at the mantle and i think i might have found the culprit. I removed the switch which turns on the fireplace from the side of the mantle. AND i was able to peak every so slightly at the insides. Not all parts, but from the pictures (see attached) it looks i found the gap.

Now - i am also reading the installation manual and will try to use the right words.

It looks like the firestop sleeve/box is there and caulked (red stuff) adjust the drywall. However, i dont think a high temperature sealeant has been applied between the pipe and the firestop. I think i see a gap between the firestop and the pipe. Should it not be caulked?

CarpentorSFO - the natural gas fireplace model is GD33NR/BGD33NR from Napolean

Sorry - i think the pix are not rotated properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace Mantle-20140107_204018-1-.jpg   Fireplace Mantle-20140107_204007-1-.jpg   Fireplace Mantle-20140107_203255-1-.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #11

Fireplace Mantle

i think this is what is missing. and thats not me
Attached Thumbnails
Fireplace Mantle-fh01dja_gasfir_15.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #12

Fireplace Mantle

am i right? looking for confirmation please.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #13
Retired Army Veteran

Fireplace Mantle

I agree. That's the way mine is done and mine is also caulked around the pipe on the outside of building as well to stop the draft. You might want to check there to. Like you have already mentioned, it looks like they caulked around the drywall but not around the actual stove pipe. Just make sure you use the high temperature silicone caulk (red stuff) like you mentioned.

You have a pretty big gap there, could just be the pic and the way i'm looking at it. Nice catch though, that should diffinately cut down on your draft. Let us know how everything works out for you. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 01-09-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #14

Fireplace Mantle

thanx everyone - going to the store today, and hopefully and fix it today. The mantle is very heavy. Not sure if i can move it on my own.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amitabh For This Useful Post:
jmon (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
Retired Army Veteran

Fireplace Mantle

Your welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amitabh View Post
The mantle is very heavy. Not sure if i can move it on my own.
That's when you invite a couple friends over for some pizza and wings to help you out. Don't hurt yourself. Nice job.

Advertisement

Last edited by jmon; 01-11-2014 at 12:42 PM.