Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Share |

The end of my dishwasher, looking to buy new ASAP

We knew our dishwasher's days were numbered. It was the only appliance we had not yet replaced since we bought the house. We were waiting until tax-returns came back, but it just didn't make it. The rest of the kitchen now has GE Profile appliances from their higher-end.

Anyway, I was initially planning on buying a matching stainless GE Profile dishwasher. I am willing to consider other brands, though I'm not a fan of the Whirlpool family of appliances (Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid, Kenmore, Amana, etc). A lot of people seem to like Bosch. I had no problem with the Profile, but it looks like there may be some with a few more bells and whistles in the same price bracket.

My price-range is the $700-$1,000 region, and it needs to be stainless to match the other appliances. Other than that, I want it to:
  1. Clean the dishes (something my current dishwasher cannot accomplish).
  2. Be less loud than a 747

I'm probably going to be buying SOON, maybe tonight or tomorrow. So, if anyone has any helpful guidance, I'll take it. Thanks

Last edited by hyunelan2; 02-09-2011 at 02:54 PM.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
I can tie my own shoes

We just bought a new frigidaire model local to us:

http://www.charlotteappliance.com/pr...ghd2461kb.html

Paid 550. We had a Maytag model #POS that began to not clean very well plus had a leak. Pretty loud as well. This new one seems to be doing well. Definitely quieter. Not even a month old. Ours is black but there is a version that comes on stainless or white. Cool feature is that you can do a top rack wash only. Probably will never use it but it came with it.

Bosch is pretty decent but they are more pricey. I like frigidaire but bosch is good as well.

One suggestion: You can go to the PO and get a forwarding/moving notice pkg and I think there is a coupon for Lowes 10% off. May not be true anymore but worth a shot. Of course, that means you must buy it at lowes.

algored2deth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Oldguy

I have a good friend who repairs appliances for a living. I have always had good advice from him on appliance brands. We recently replaced our dishwasher and purchased another Kitchenaid. We looked at Bosch also, but did not purchase one based on his recommendation: "If you have to repair a Bosch, the parts are hard to find"

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

if its not to late,here is my 2 cents worth. I make a living repairing and selling appliances, when it comes to the new dishwashers none impress. the new ones look really nice and are very quiet and energy effiecent but quality is not there. That being said stay away from Bosch, LG and anything not built in the USA. Generally when I have to repair the units built else where, I am forever waiting on repair parts. So what that leaves is the Whirlpool family, Frigidaire, and GE. I've seen higher repair rates on the GE models, don't care a lot for the Whirlpool built but would buy the mid to upper line, Frigidaire is a nice unit, quiet good looking cleans well BUT not overly impressed with the long term repair history, but I suppose I would buy one. All in all I'd probably go with Frigidaire first, Maytag second, then Whirlpool.
hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

I will say we have had good luck with our 4 year old Kitchenaid. We bought the basic model, it doesn't have a buch of bells and whistles, the wash computer controled. I noticed it will empty some water and then add some clean if the wash water gets too dirty. It is also VERY quiet. Our kitchen/dinning room/living room is all open, and not that big (1200ft house) we can watch tv in the evening with the kids in be and the dishwasher going with no problems. You can easily carry a conversation in the kitchen right next to it.

Our issue now is the phosphorus free detergents

I noticed our dishes were essentially not getting clean this summer, we were having to rewash most of them. I thought the dishwasher was messed up, but after doing reading and research I found out all the manufactures quietly dropped the phosphorus from their detergents due to the ban in 17 states. Rather than sell 2 formulas, they just changed it all. Now I am trying to come up with a combination that will clean well. We have very very hard water, and a ban on salt based water softeners, which makes things worse. I have been adding a teaspoon of TSP to my cheap powder. It helps a lot, but is still not there yet. I may try a different detergent to add the TSP. It is going to be trial and error till I find a good combination, I have heard good things about Lemi-Shine.

Daniel
FixitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

lemi-shine = good stuff
hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Jack of all - master none

I ended up going with a floor display model GE GDWT360 series. Price tag was $800, we paid $560 since it was a display model.
http://products.geappliances.com/App...Sku=GDWT360RSS

I did take the advice to stay away from the imports due to repair parts availability. I am not a huge fan of the Whirlpool family, so that left Frigidaire or GE. Having all other GE appliances, it was simple to decide the brand. There was a GE Profile at an appliance store that knocked $200 off the price, but that made it about the same as the MSRP on the one we purchased. I also hate stores that don't put prices on anything and you have to haggle and comparison shop ahead of time, so we ended up at Sears. Being at the top of the "regular" GE appliance range, it has most of the same features as the low to mid range GE Profile dishwashers.

I installed it this morning, with a good amount of swearing at the old Kitchenaid that did not want to come out. I only ran it once, empty, to make sure everything worked with no leaks - so far, so good. It's quiet and seems well constructed. I did like the top rack options on the GE Profiles with the flip out trays for wine glasses and such, but for the few hundred dollars saved - we're fine without them.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #8

I know you have purchased your dishwasher and I hope it works out well for you, but I don't really agree about the imports and the long and expensive wait for the parts.

In fact, I have always bought Miele, and I have never had to worry about waiting for imports because they never break down. No joking.
Also, they have their own soap tabs that are incredible at cleaning dishes.

Love my Miele. In terms of price, yes there are the expensive ones with all the bells and whistles, but entry level Miele for approx. $1200 is not that bad for something you never have to fix......
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post

In fact, I have always bought Miele, and I have never had to worry about waiting for imports because they never break down. No joking. .

consider yourself lucky
Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #10

hardwareman;

yes, lucky three times...........

yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote