Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #1

Share |

Dryer won't Heat

Howdy,

I need advice regarding taking on DIY Electric Dryer Repair.
Trouble shooting guide states there are 2 house fuses in the dryer circuit. If 1 of the 2 fuses is blown, the drum may turn but the heater will not operate.

Was advised to buy a Digital Meter to check the Continuity of the fuses. I removed the wires and checked the Continuity of the Thermal Limiter and the Thermostat safety. Both seem to still have a connection within. I was considering testing the continuity of the heating element, but it is deep inside and I will need to disassemble the dryer (remove drum etc.). I am sure I can do it, but I have many things on my plate. I don't want to Waste any more time if it takes a Long to Time to take apart and put it back together again. Especially when that may not be the problem.

I was hoping someone who has walked down this road before might comment on just how big a project disassembling a dryer is.

Normally I would hire someone to do the repair, but there is this Sucking Vortex Noise coming from my checking account which implies to me that perhaps I should go for it.

Any advice would be GREATLY WELCOME!!

Brett

2 threads on same issue merged

DIYbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:30 AM   #2

Dryer won't Heat

Brett, I am not an expert, but am fairly mechanically inclined, and have changed a couple of our own heating elemets, as well as a few for friends over the years, so please take this for what it is worth. First of all, yes, as you mentioned, you need to check the fuses or breaker, but although you mentioned checking two otehr items, you did not mention checking the fuses, so if you have not done so, do that first. If fuses, remove the pull block, take the fuese out of the holder, and check each one. If a breaker, turn it off, then back on; sometimes a breaker can be all or partially tripped, but not far enough that you will see the orange indicator. If you have power, yes, I would check the element next. Turn off the power first. This is where my lack of expertise raises some uncertainty, but I believe that on most dryers today, and for some years back, you can access many of the components from the front of the machine. Check carefully along the front, toward the bottom, perhaps upward along the bottom of a crease on the front, for a couple of screws. Remove them, and I have a pretty good idea that you will be able to swing the front out, and then be able to lift it off of a couple of hooks. If you get that far, I believe that you will be able to see the heating element, which you can then unplug, and check with your ohm meter, although you can often see that the element is burned. I don't think that of the half dozen or so that I have done in the past 10 years, I have spent more than 30-45 minutes accessing, diagnosing, and repairing the problem, exluding chasing parts, of course. Good luck.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
the Musigician

Dryer won't Heat

It may be the thermocoupler too, I had to replace mine and it took less than a half an hour.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
fabrk8r

Dryer won't Heat

FWIW, it's very common for the heating element to be the part that needs to be replaced.

As DexterII said, it's a fairly easy and straight forward repair.

It's a good idea to take the duct enclosing the heating element apart anyway to clean the lint out. You'll be surprised how much garbage you'll find in the blower housing.

Your local appliance parts supply house will most likely have the replacement element in stock. Usually costs around $65.00 - $120.00

If you need help there are a lot of websites that show how to do it, usually with good pics. Use Google.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
the Musigician

Dryer won't Heat

It NEVER surprises me to see how much gunk can build up inside a dryer.....
Hope for thermocoupler.... cheaper than element.

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #6

Dryer won't Heat

Thank you All, especially DexterII

You have given me the encouragement to take on disassembling the dryer.

FYI No Fuses have been listed on the Parts Diagrams/Lists, even when I called Frigidaire and asked about fuses they said none are listed. I figured they have changed their names and gone incognito!

Great I will report my findings.

Thank You Very Much,

Brett

DIYbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
fabrk8r

Dryer won't Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYbrett View Post
I was considering testing the continuity of the heating element, but it is deep inside and I will need to disassemble the dryer (remove drum etc.).
Are you sure you need to remove drum to get to heating element?

What brand and model is your dryer? Usually removing a few screws and panels on the back will get to the duct and heating element.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #8

Dryer won't Heat

You're welcome, Brett. However, backing up just a bit, your original post said "house fuses", so I assumed we were talking about the same thing, but I was referring to the fuses in your main electrical panel, and I think that you were looking in the dryer. Odds are that you actually have a circuit breaker, but regardless, it sounds as if you may not have yet checked your power supply, and if that is the case, before removing the cover, go back up to the first part of post #2, and check that out. Not necessarily the most likely, but it's the easiest, and I don't know where you are, but based on the high number of storms that some parts of the country have had this year, a blown fuse or tripped breaker could be the problem.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dryer, repair