Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #1

Share |

Dryer Venting

Okay so I just installed a new dryer in my 1950s era home. There is no dryer vent. As I am in a pinch, I made a bucket vent. Yes I know I'm introducing moisture into the home. Putting in a proper vent requires chipping concrete and running about 8' in the crawl space. This I will complete in due time but for now I'm wearing clean clothes!!

So I'm wondering really what would be the difference if I just hung the clothes on a drying rack and let them dry naturally. The same amount of moisture is introduced into the home. Same goes for the dishwasher. We don't vent dishwashers outdoors. All that steam just vents to the living space.

I live in Miami so I don't want to introduce all that moisture and heat into a conditioned space but if I lived in a more temperate area, particularly in the winter, some heat and moisture would be beneficial in the living space.

CosmicMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Dryer Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicMiami View Post
Okay so I just installed a new dryer in my 1950s era home.
There is no dryer vent.

Putting in a proper vent requires chipping concrete and running about 8' in the crawl space. This I will complete in due time...
tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
joecaption (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #3

Dryer Venting

Next post will be my windows are fogging up and there's mold on the walls what paint do I use.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #4

Dryer Venting

What kind of dishwasher do you have that vents steam into the living space? Never heard of something like that. Even modern units with heaters to raise the water temperature to sanitzation range (180 degrees or so) don't "vent stream." At least mine doesn't.

Dishwashers aren't separately vented and normally don't have their own drain. The water doesn't actually drain anyway; it is pumped out, usually to the garbage disposal or the tailpiece on the kitchen sink drain. What sort of arrangement do you have?

As for the dryer, running a proper vent isn't a big job (well, not usually). I suggest you do it sooner rather than later.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #5

Dryer Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Next post will be my windows are fogging up and there's mold on the walls what paint do I use.
Actually no. I live in South Florida and have an exhaust fan rigged in a nearby window. Looking at a week or two to get the vent installed properly.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

Dryer Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
What kind of dishwasher do you have that vents steam into the living space? Never heard of something like that. Even modern units with heaters to raise the water temperature to sanitzation range (180 degrees or so) don't "vent stream." At least mine doesn't.
I don't have one but the one at work, during the dry cycle, has a good amount of moisture that escapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Dishwashers aren't separately vented and normally don't have their own drain. The water doesn't actually drain anyway; it is pumped out, usually to the garbage disposal or the tailpiece on the kitchen sink drain. What sort of arrangement do you have?

As for the dryer, running a proper vent isn't a big job (well, not usually). I suggest you do it sooner rather than later.
It will be sooner. The OP was not about the necessity of a dryer vent. I got to thinking that there really isn't much difference between hanging clothes on an indoor rack to dry or running the dryer. Same amount of moisture is released into the space. It was just a topic for discussion. Never mind.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #7

Dryer Venting

Why don't you put up a clothesline and hang the laundry outside? We have a very nice, almost new dryer and my wife still does that when she can. We live in Eastern WV, so sometimes instead of getting dry, they freeze.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #8

Dryer Venting

We do that. This time of year is fine but rain season it can be a lesson in futility.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #9

Dryer Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicMiami
I got to thinking that there really isn't much difference between hanging clothes on an indoor rack to dry or running the dryer. Same amount of moisture is released into the space. It was just a topic for discussion. Never mind.
The difference is the amount of time that the moisture is released into the space. When hang drying, the air in the space can absorb and dissipate the moisture. When dumping a dryer's exhaust into the space, it's like a flash flood: the air can't absorb the moisture fast enough, so it builds up on surfaces which can cause issues.
hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Dryer Venting

In cold climates such as MA where I live, it is perfectly reasonable to vent the dryer into the air during the winter, which is what I do. The dryer is in the basement, and in the winter the air is bone dry, so I recapture heat and moisture by venting directly into the basement using a special tee with a dryer filter attachment (simply use a sock over the vent). There is zero condensation in the winter, and the added heat and moisture is welcome in the winter. In the spring and summer, I simply rotate the tee and exhaust the hot, moist air outside.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #11

Dryer Venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman
In cold climates such as MA where I live, it is perfectly reasonable to vent the dryer into the air during the winter, which is what I do. The dryer is in the basement, and in the winter the air is bone dry, so I recapture heat and moisture by venting directly into the basement using a special tee with a dryer filter attachment (simply use a sock over the vent). There is zero condensation in the winter, and the added heat and moisture is welcome in the winter. In the spring and summer, I simply rotate the tee and exhaust the hot, moist air outside.
We do this as well during the winter (NW WI). As long as its below 10f outside, it seems to be too dry inside to allow condensation to form. Haven't found any yet, at least. It's not a finished basement and I'll take the temp rise it provides. And with 3 lil kids, laundry is constant :-)

Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote