Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Dryer venting`

I have a mobile home and need to vent the dryer out. I have a hole already and 2 90's going to the top of the hole, then I have to duct it through the underbelly(the problem is there is an air duct somewhat under the hole and it has to be angled)
then i have to run another 90 or 45 coming out so it can vent to the rear ~8-9 feet out.
What would be the best way to do this? solid pipe going through the underbelly, or can i run a foil type flex to the underside, also what material to vent the 9 feet distance?

no_Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

Dryer venting`

If at all possible, avoid the flexible pipe.....

Solid pipe is not that expensive....and is actually easier to secure to the underside.

If you need to cut it...if it came 'assembled', as in, already a tube...pop it open (push on the seam...pops open real easy)....then cut with tin snips....the pop back into a tube.

Make sure you seal all the joinst with metal tape

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

Dryer venting`

" avoid the flexible pipe....." I'll second that. And if at all possible replace 90's with 2 45's. Keep pipe runs as straight as possible with gradual turns, support with adequate hangers.
" air duct somewhat under the hole and it has to be angled" Find the "somewhere" and plan your route. There are adjustable connectors for pipes, twist and turn them to get odd angles. Pipe can be cut without opening it if you have fine tooth saw. Open for tin snips. Be sure to put dampered out let on end of pipe with critter and bug screen.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #4

Dryer venting`

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn
Be sure to put dampered out let on end of pipe with critter and bug screen.
Bug screens on dryer vent outlets are against code as they trap and allow lint to build up. It would be all good if removable and people actually cleaned them out, but they don't. Also, no screws are permitted as they will also trap lint. Secure the pipe connections with foil tape.
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac benny For This Useful Post:
notmrjohn (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Bombastic Idiot

Dryer venting`

Thanks, benny. I did not know that. Makes sense now that I think on it.
I actually put critter screen over my outlet, when nearby hay field was mowed, would hear rats in duct, luckily none in dryer. But screen is large 1/4" hardware box over outlet, 'cause that was easiest to install. I've had no lint problem there, rain wind seem to clear it, but doesn't mean someone else won't have one. Daughter once had wasps in dryer, damper was off one of pivots.

" Secure the pipe connections with foil tape." Are hose clamps of any use on rigid pipe? I knew about screws, from just first time I cleaned pipe. Figured clamps couldn't hurt, just tight enuff to almost distort pipe. The almost can be hard to judge.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #6

Dryer venting`

Foil tape will stop the two sections of pipe from separating if someone bumps or pulls them. Pipe clamps are more for securing flex to pipe.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Dryer venting`

ok have all the pipe in, used the galv. steel 4in. I was needing to know though if I need to wrap foil tape around the Adjustable 90's seams?
also the duct is kind of touching my insulated air duct that connects the air vents on the two sections of the house. Will the heat from the dryer duct possibly melt the insulation around the other air duct?
no_Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #8

Dryer venting`

You need to insulate any dryer venting in unconditioned space, otherwise you'll get condensation inside the pipe. No need to foil tape the gores on the 90's, but running a piece from one end of the 90 to the other will stop it from being readjusted if it gets bumped. Be sure to rub the tape in to ensure maximum adhesion. No need to worry about it melting the insulation.
The Following User Says Thank You to hvac benny For This Useful Post:
notmrjohn (10-11-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
Bombastic Idiot

Dryer venting`

Now I learn another thing, how to make adjustable angle accidentally unadjustable. That's two i owe you benny.

Seems to me, that as long as you are insulating venting, you might as well do it on interior part too. Depending on length, mite not be lot of heat coming off it, but why add any heat to AC'd space? Of course in winter you mite want heat. If you were real fanatical about it, hold foil back insulation around pipe with removable nylon quick ties, open in winter..

I do know, that unless you get genuine heat exchanger with fan, do not install one of those cheap boxes in vent line that claim to save energy by using dryer to add heat to room. You'll wind up pumping lots of humidity into room. And I don't know as how genuine exchanger is worth operating money for amt of heat it adds.