Dryer Vent Puzzle - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dryer vent puzzle

Perhaps someone can help me figure this out -- I can't be the only person with this problem...

We have a purpose-built alcove for our washer and dryer. The (stacked) units slide back into the space with barely any clearance around them on all sides, including the top. To install the units, you must hook up the power, water, and vent while the units are pulled out, then slide them back into place.

For the vent, this means that there is inherently a ton of slack. Assuming you hook it up taught to the hole in the wall directly behind it, by the time you slide the unit back you have 3-4' of vent hose hanging in a giant "u" shape, which I know is not ideal.

Is there some clever way to keep the excess vent hose from hanging down like that? Are there elastic/retracting vents? Or perhaps rig up some sort of pulley that I can pull from the front of the unit to keep it from sagging?

Ideas?

Advertisement

NYCbianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
DIY or die !

Rewards Points: 75

Dryer vent puzzle

Yeah... you do yourself a favor and go buy FULL SIZE machines, and build a REAL laundy room !

For real though. Its always a nightmare with stacks. on SOME of them you can remove the middle pannel to access the vent hose. this means you can trim is much shorter and attach it after the dryer is in place.

Advertisement

lewisthepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,098

Dryer vent puzzle

Either move the termination vent up the wall to match the dryer exhaust perfectly OR use a "periscope" vent. http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml
Be sure to use a Type "A" rather than "B" for 50% more air flow.

Gary
P.S. Welcome to the forums!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Dryer vent puzzle

Even with non stackable units this is tricky. Mine is kinda the same situation there's a bunch of slack all curled up at the back.

One idea I had to fix this (but never executed it.. maybe I should) was to use a sturdy pipe elbow going up, some solid pipe going from there and then you can reach and put a small piece of flex to link it to the exhaust pipe going outside. In fact you could even just stick to using solid pipe that way too. Just have one section that is not secured so it's easy to remove.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dryer vent puzzle

NYCbianchi this is a very common problem, especially in condo's where space is so limited. It's also a fire hazard because eventually that crappy plastic tube will fill with lint. How much room is behind the stacked unit?
The only way this can be eliminated is nearly impossible, which is to put the vent in the exact location it will terminate from the dryer, slide the dryer into place and then install the vent from the outside.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #6

Dryer vent puzzle

Thanks for the input, guys. This is a great forum. It sounds like I'm basically screwed. There is ZERO clearance around the units (perhaps a few inches on either size, nothing on top) so I can't do anything that requires "reaching around" to seal off a connection.

Since I'm going to have a bunch of slack back there, should I stick a dryer vent booster fan on the hose?

I'm not just worried about a lint fire by the way ... the dang dryer isn't working very well at all, and having replaced the heat element I'm guessing the slack in the hose is the reason ...
Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,098

Dryer vent puzzle

Are you renting or your house?

Will a periscope fit in the wall cavity as I posted earlier?

Are you able to move the termination hood/duct up to exactly match the dryer exhaust?

A 180* turn in a flex hose could give enough back pressure/heat to burn the high-temp fuse, did you check that?

A booster fan may require contacting your local AHJ for this Alternate Method of exhausting for safety.

Gary
Old 05-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #8

Dryer vent puzzle

Gary, I'm not sure how a periscope would work. I can't get back there to line it all up -- and I don't think it's feasible to line it up in advance and slide it back perfectly into place. Am I missing something?

I own the house.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 520

Dryer vent puzzle

How much distance (vert/horiz) is there from the dryer outlet to the vent? The periscope worked great in my situation. But I can see how it'd be challenging if you can't see or get a hand behind to line it up.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #10

Dryer vent puzzle

I'll check on the distance. My guess is it's within a foot or two but lining them up is impractical since the stacked units are f-ing heavy and it's all I can do to get them back in there at all.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Dryer vent puzzle

What's the model number of your unit? It may have a removable panel to access the hookups in the back...
jfrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

Dryer vent puzzle

Is there any space to the sides of the unit, even just ~6"?

I've considered, but not executed, the following---

Use one of those "periscope" lines to run to the SIDE of the dryer and re-locate the vent there. Now you can secure the periscope (or even just 2 90* elbows and a short piece of hard conduit) BEFORE you push the dryer into place and then clamp the final connection at the wall after the unit is pushed into place (which is easily accessible since it is complete exposed)--obviously this requires that your vent be located directly to the side of the dryer (but on the same plane at the back wall), which means you may need to relocate the vent.

A bonus to this is that you may be able to remove the final 90* from time to time in order to clean out any lint build up.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 562

Dryer vent puzzle

Had this same problem with some KitchenAid front loaders.

What I did was:

After some very careful measuring I cut a hole in the drywall, removed the insulation from that area, drilled a small hole in the outside wall (centered on the inside hole), then cut a matching hole in the outside wall.

Used a standard dryer went that has the metal pipe attached. Slid into the dryer vent connection and screwed it down to the siding.

Makes for a neat, short and effective vent that can easily be removed from outside if need be.

Also placed the dryer closer to the inside wall.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ktkelly For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (05-20-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #14

Dryer vent puzzle

In answer to questions folks have posted:

-- The vent is actually on the cieling, going straight up to the roof. It is positioned at the back of the alcove, but on the cieling, not the wall.

-- There is absolutely no space to reach around, manipulate anything, insert a periscope, or do anything on either side of the dryer. Part of the problem is that the alcove has a doorframe (to shut the units behind doors) which is almost exactly the dimensions of the stacked units ... I can't reach around them at all.

I'm beginning to think I might need to cut an access panel to reach into the alcove from the side. There's a closet on the other side of one wall, so I can cut through the back of the closet, reach in and make a nice tight connection, then close up the hole in the wall (or put in a door). I've never cut through drywall but it sounds like fun...
Old 05-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 562

Dryer vent puzzle

Here's what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DZD3MO/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Cut the drywall in the closet behind the unit, make your connection, then install this access panel cover so you can get to the connection in the future.

Advertisement

ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote