Dryer Vent Disk - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dryer Vent disk

Could someone be so kind as to tell me what this disk is?

I was doing some preventative vacuuming out of my dryer vent and I accidentally sucked out this disk. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to properly fit it back into the duct. I can lodge it back in, but I really don't want to do that for fear of creating a blockage.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, especially advice on whether I need to bother putting this disk back in. This was in a vertical duct in a condo building.
Attached Images

Advertisement

shmevinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,800

Dryer Vent disk

It is to close the vent to keep outside cold & hot air from coming back in, when the dryer is not running.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,180

Dryer Vent disk

yeah you'll want to put that back in, go outside to where the vent terminates. You should be able to pop it back into the vent hood
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Dryer Vent disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
yeah you'll want to put that back in, go outside to where the vent terminates. You should be able to pop it back into the vent hood
So it's supposed fit in where the vent terminates? Because I found it in the duct right above my dryer and I'm on the 2nd floor of a 4 story building. Maybe it fell down? That would explain why I couldn't figure out where it fit in the duct.
shmevinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,800

Dryer Vent disk

If maintenance can not figure where it came from, just go to Lowe's or Home Depot, or local Ace Hardware, and get one of the inline dampers that you can install in the Laundry room. If anything, something like that should have fallen out a long time ago, since the ears usually break after a year or so, because of not only the weight of the lint, but also because the oil dries out in the Plastic, and it becomes brittle because they are cheap.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,530

Dryer Vent disk

As said, that is an in-line vent damper, probably against your current local Code:

M1502.3 Duct termination. Exhaust ducts shall terminate on the outside of the building. Exhaust duct terminations shall be in accordance with the dryer manufacturer's installation instructions. If the manufacturer's instructions do not specify a termination location, the exhaust duct shall terminate not less than 3 feet (914 mm) in any direction from openings into buildings. Exhaust duct terminations shall be equipped with a backdraft damper. Screens shall not be installed at the duct termination. From; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par002.htm

Not an in-line, only on the termination hood.

M1502.4.2 Duct installation. Exhaust ducts shall be supported at 4 foot (1219 mm) intervals and secured in place. The insert end of the duct shall extend into the adjoining duct or fitting in the direction of airflow. Ducts shall not be joined with screws or similar fasteners that protrude into the inside of the duct. From; http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par005.htm

Bold is mine, you get the idea, nothing inside the smooth duct to catch wet lint..... Call your fire department or Building official to ask.

Gary

Advertisement