This morning we smelled something hot while running the dryer. I checked it and the plug was hot and beginning to melt. The receptacle was real hot, so I removed the cover plate and pulled out the receptacle. The black wire insulation was melted up into the wall. It is not melted all the way to the breaker box, but it got really hot. I know I will have to replace the wiring, receptacle and cord to dryer, but I need to know why this happened. Could anyone help. I suspect it is the dryer, but what would cause this in the dryer. Thanks for any help.
doubt it's dryer but also check terminal bar on dryer. installers are famous for not making tight connections...in recept'- usually caused by poor connection, can take long time to show up. 'fire was electrical in nature' you're lucky. is it AL' wire? if so change to copper. if you diy make sure you're on code.