DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Appliances (
-   -   dryer problems (

grasshopper 09-23-2009 07:56 AM

dryer problems
This morning we smelled something hot while running the dryer. I checked it and the plug was hot and beginning to melt. The receptacle was real hot, so I removed the cover plate and pulled out the receptacle. The black wire insulation was melted up into the wall. It is not melted all the way to the breaker box, but it got really hot. I know I will have to replace the wiring, receptacle and cord to dryer, but I need to know why this happened. Could anyone help. I suspect it is the dryer, but what would cause this in the dryer. Thanks for any help.

jerryh3 09-23-2009 08:01 AM

Sounds like some type of internal fault in the dryer and possibly a loose connection. Make sure you replace the breaker also.

Jacques 09-23-2009 09:27 AM

doubt it's dryer but also check terminal bar on dryer. installers are famous for not making tight recept'- usually caused by poor connection, can take long time to show up. 'fire was electrical in nature' you're lucky. is it AL' wire? if so change to copper. if you diy make sure you're on code.

kbsparky 09-23-2009 09:49 AM

Loose connections can cause the problems you have experienced.

You will now need:
  • New wiring
  • New receptacle
  • New Cord

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1