DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Appliances (http://www.diychatroom.com/f47/)
-   -   Dryer Not Heating Properly (http://www.diychatroom.com/f47/dryer-not-heating-properly-173440/)

bcgfdc3 03-03-2013 12:27 AM

Dryer Not Heating Properly
 
I apologize as I am not home and do not have complete info. I will update later with model number when I can.

I have a Kenmore gas dryer that is about 10 years old. It has worked flawlessly since we got it.

My problem is my wife is telling me it takes 3-4 hours to dry a load of clothes. I have run it empty and it heats. When you open the door and stick your hand in the air inside feels warm. I felt the discharge air and it is warm but not hot and in good volume. I checked the lint screen and did the water trick and it is not clogged. I checked the vent pipe and it is clear with no lint or debris.

I don't know where to start since it is heating some. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

del schisler 03-03-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcgfdc3 (Post 1128639)
I apologize as I am not home and do not have complete info. I will update later with model number when I can.

I have a Kenmore gas dryer that is about 10 years old. It has worked flawlessly since we got it.

My problem is my wife is telling me it takes 3-4 hours to dry a load of clothes. I have run it empty and it heats. When you open the door and stick your hand in the air inside feels warm. I felt the discharge air and it is warm but not hot and in good volume. I checked the lint screen and did the water trick and it is not clogged. I checked the vent pipe and it is clear with no lint or debris.

I don't know where to start since it is heating some. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

the heat should be hot, when you say warm , as compaired to hot , like how hot is hot, does the flame cycle off and on ? if so real quick? it should stay on tell the sencer shut's off the burner, their are i belive 3 sencers , one to start the burner and one to shut burner off when certain temp is reached, and the other one will shut off the burner if the certain temp senser fail's , it sound's like a service call in in order, You can get the sencers and replace if you are a good diy'er , now this would just be replacing more than may need be tho? if you do that mark the sencers where they came off , they are different different heat values

TarheelTerp 03-03-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcgfdc3 (Post 1128639)
I have a Kenmore gas dryer that is about 10 years old.
It has worked flawlessly since we got it.

How often have you cleaned this 10yo dryer?

From the back... start with the vent pipe.
Then move to the inside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMP7BW1lLs4

TW200 03-03-2013 11:46 AM

Check the vent from beginning to end. I had the same problem and it was lint buildup close to end where the vent exits my laundry room on my roof.

rkentzel 03-09-2013 12:47 AM

Don't replace any parts till you have your dryer duct cleaned. If it has a long run don't do it your self you will never get cleaned. Call out a dryer duct guy. It sounds like a dust problem

ddawg16 03-09-2013 01:08 AM

Try removing the actual vent cover outside. Then look inside.

I just relocated our dryer to a new location....my vent pipe is maybe 10" long....the force of air coming out is about 5x more than you would get out of a hair dryer on high. I'm using solid wall duct....

bcgfdc3 03-09-2013 02:13 AM

Thanks for the help so far.

I have actually today replaced my metal flexible with solid 4" pipe with no screws and taped joints. The run is 90 degrees at the dryer rear to vertical for about 8' then 90 degrees through the basement block wall then 90 degrees to another 2' vertical to 90 degrees to vent cover.

Still not drying. I will check with the vent cover removed outside tomorrow.

747 03-09-2013 05:32 AM

I would recommend gettng a nut driver and taking back off of dryer. Then taking the lint shoot off. There could be lint in the bottom of the lint shoot. One nut dryer is good for everything. Except the two screws on top of lint screen. Its pretty much this simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBNDbyRm68M

ddawg16 03-09-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 747 (Post 1133001)
I would recommend gettng a nut driver and taking back off of dryer. Then taking the lint shoot off. There could be lint in the bottom of the lint shoot. One nut dryer is good for everything. Except the two screws on top of lint screen. Its pretty much this simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBNDbyRm68M

Good suggestion.....

I helped a friend clean his out....the space below the lint screen all the way to the outlet at the back of the dryer was plugged with lint.

Now...with that said.....are you sure the tube inside the dryer is not loose. When I was relocating my dryer recently, I opened it up and found that my pipe had come loose....the inside was covered in lint.....took me an hour to clean.....explains the lint on the floor.

hardwareman 03-10-2013 03:13 PM

there is a good chance your solenoids on the gas valve are bad. When they start to go bad they will work properly, opening the gas valve, for about a cycle or two. The bad solenoid will heat up and not open the gas valve after that, no gas no fire, no fire no heat.

bcgfdc3 03-14-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardwareman (Post 1133900)
there is a good chance your solenoids on the gas valve are bad. When they start to go bad they will work properly, opening the gas valve, for about a cycle or two. The bad solenoid will heat up and not open the gas valve after that, no gas no fire, no fire no heat.

I took the back off and took the lint "shoot" off and cleaned it. It had some lint so I cleaned it and tried it again with the same result. Still not drying.

So is this an easy fix or should i just eat it and go get a new one?

Also, I like the idea of a gas dryer being slightly chaeper to operate and I am already set up for it, but if this is a usual failure should I go with an electric one?

ddawg16 03-15-2013 10:29 AM

Wild shot here....on our dryer we have a 'heat adjustment' slide switch....it lets you adjust how hot it can get. Is it by any chance down at the min?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.