Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #1

Share |

dryer noise help with vid

this dryer has been sitting for two years..i got everything wired up, plugged it in..set it to air dry and turned it on...sounded ok...set it to heat dry..after a few seconds, it started to make this noise....if i go back to no heat, no noise.so i'm guessing it may have something to do with heating element??can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?? i just fixed the washer to this set, the water pump was seized..now i gotta get this dryer going as soon as possible..thanks ahead of time..here the link to a short vid i made..hope it helps

gatorchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

sounds like ****, just tear it all down and find the bad part. It has nothing to do with the heating element. It will either be the belt idler or the rear bearing.

del schisler (11-17-2011)
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Tileguy

Before you take it apart shoot a little WD-40 on that idler and see if that's the problem. If that doesn't quiet it down then take it apart and inspect anything that has to do with the moving parts of the drum.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:45 AM   #4

thanks guys...i'll check it out after work this evening..i have to stop and get some more wd-40 though..i used my last bit on the seized water pump in the washing machine for this set..i guess where they have sat for two years (albeit it under a porch it was still outside), any moving parts are subject to be in bad shape
Old 11-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

WD40 and dryer parts= NO GOOD. Its ok to use wd4o to find out which part is the problem but it is by no means the fix. REPLACE noisey part.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
hardwareman: "WD40 and dryer parts= NO GOOD".
Oh My God !!!

I said: Before you take it apart shoot a little WD-40 on that idler and "see if that's the problem."

WD-40 NO GOOD, NO GOOD, It's NO GOOD, OH MY GOD, THAT IDEA IS NO GOOD!

i
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

don't have a cow man, I was just making sure the op understood that because it sounded to me like he was going to use wd40 to fix.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Tileguy

No cows here. You were the one that said my suggestion was "NO GOOD" and you used caps to do it. That's the only cow I'm seeing. I was merely pointing out how ridiculous your response to my suggestion was. I wanted to be equally as ridiculous.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #9

ok guys i'll hold off on the wd40...when i got home from work i was trying to find the source of the noise...once again with no heat, air dry only, i have no noise..then when i put the heat to it, she sounds like a train...now it kinda sounds like it is coming from the rear of the drum, where i understand a bearing is located..now how do i get the drum off to inspect the bearing?..i can probably get it off but i like to have an idea before i start tearing stuff apart!..could the heat be heating up the bearing causing a bad bearing to sound worse???
Old 11-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #10

ok..got it apart...the piece i'm think is the bearing seems to be made of plastic..when it is seated in what i think is the bearing housing, there is a bit of play...is this normal??
Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

drum bearing on GE dryer will consist of the drum shaft the bearing housing and a Teflon sleeve. should be very little to no play.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
drum bearing on GE dryer will consist of the drum shaft the bearing housing and a Teflon sleeve. should be very little to no play.
ok..so willi just need to replace the teflon sleeve??(cheap) or get a whole bearing kit (not as cheap)?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

WE3X75 drum bearing about $3.50