Dryer Lint - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dryer Lint

Our dryer was not getting the clothes dry so I pulled it out and cleaned out the vent pipe. It was really full of lint (almost a full grocery bag full in the entire run). I suspect this was the problem with the drying. Can't remember the last time I cleaned it but it has probably been several (like 10) years. Just finished cleaning it a few hours ago and have to see if the next load dries.

The question I have is this: When I pulled the pipe from the back of the dryer, there were sun flower seeds in the pipe. How the sun flower seeds got in the dryer is one question. My question is how did they make it all the way to the vent pipe? Isn't there a screen that should catch something this size? Could the fact that they got through be indicitive an internal problem that allowed so much lint to get into the pipe?

Dryer is a KitchenAid Model KGY700GQ1
vent pipe is 4" galv
total run is about 2' vertical, 18' horizontal, and 2 more feet vertical. (multi level)
Thanks

Advertisement

Fleener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Dryer Lint

If you have a perfect seal at the internal lint trap screen, seeds shouldn't get through. Were they whole seeds or shells? If I found seeds I would be examining my exhaust vent outside to see if it was stuck open allowing little critters in to make it a home.

I recently found a number of items, guitar picks, coins , etc under my dryer but in my case they had fallen through a gap where the felt drum seal meets the door frame because the guides for the drum were worn allowing the drum to wobble. None of these items were actually in the pipe, only lint.

In theory if seeds were in a pair of jeans in the dryer and then fell out into the dryer and got caught in the lint trap screen at my door, if not careful while cleaning that screen they could drop into the squirrel cage below and then blow into the first 2 feet of pipe.

Check your damper flap outside. If it is stuck open either get a mesh screen or a new vent with a weighted damper. If you are in a cold zone get a weighted damper for sure

Advertisement

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote