Dryer Going Out - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

dryer going out

I have a regular electric ge dryer that is not drying. It usually takes a cycle and a half or so for the clothes to be dry. Now I didn't notice this problem until I got to a new house that I purchased. Could there be anything on the house side that is causing this even though its only the electric and the little silver duct that goes into the wall? Or if you any ideas of what kind of things go out in a dryer that I could look at first.

Thanks!

Zach

Advertisement

mckain87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,472

dryer going out

Check the voltage coming into the outlet. You should be getting 120 per leg to the Neutral, 240 measured between both legs together. If you have the proper voltages, check to make sure there is not a ball of lint clogging your exhaust duct on the back of the dryer, and also that the duct for the house is not clogged with a bunch of lint.

You can run the dryer off the vent to check if it is blowing hot air also. Just do not run it that wall for the rest of the time you live there.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #3

dryer going out

I just didn't umderstand the last part. Don't run it where?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

dryer going out

Where do you think. In your laundry room. Then again, you could run it for President, since politicians are full of hot air.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #5

dryer going out

Hrmm...well it is in the garage and the only place I can run it
Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

dryer going out

If that is your laundry room, then I guess that will be where you are going to be finding the problem and where it will stay. I really did not care what room it was in, other than your question was asking what was wrong and I gave you ideas to answer your question. Now go get 'er done and stop chatting on the Internet.

If you do not have a meter, you can get a $5.00 120/240/280 tester from your local Home Depot/Lowe's/Ace Hardware. It basically has test leads that you would use to check inside the outlet for voltage. If you have four legs on your plug for your dryer, it is 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground. Whether you check from Neutral or Ground to a hot leg, you will/should get 120 volts. If you check from Neutral & Ground, you will get nothing.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #7

dryer going out

Cool. Well I'm hoping for you, you don't work anywhere that you have to communicate or be sociable with people. Thanks for the help though. I will look into this.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

dryer going out

unhook it from the vent and turn it on. does it blow hot air? if yes reconnect it and turn it on and check outside to see if you have good airflow out of the outside vent. if no it might be the heating elements. you will need a meter to test them.

i would check for a clogged vent line if it worked at the old house.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

dryer going out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckain87 View Post
Cool. Well I'm hoping for you, you don't work anywhere that you have to communicate or be sociable with people. Thanks for the help though. I will look into this.
Actually I do communicate all day long with people, and I am very sociable, which has nothing with the first reply in how to find out the problem. Nothing is wrong with what I suggested to you in how to fix it. For the time you have spent chatting on here, you could have found out the problem.

Now go get it fixed and stop chatting. Do not come back until you find out the problem, since the Internet can only give you suggestions, not physically fix the problem.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #10

dryer going out

How hot should it be coming out...I turned it on the "hottest" setting and let it run for five minutes and I can stick my hand in the duct and its warm but not hot really
Old 11-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

dryer going out

Around 130 degrees. The duct will feel warm when you place your hand there. Take a damp washcloth or towel, stick it in the dryer and run for 20 to 30 min's. If it is dried, the dryer is working. You can take the back off of the dryer if you have had it a few years, and clean the lint out of the duct, along with cleaning the exhaust duct that goes from the garage to the outside.

As long as the duct is not flex duct, lint should not collect, but it will happen if the duct goes through a cold space like a crawl space or attic.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #12

dryer going out

Outstanding. I will do that. Only thing is I can't find where the dryer duct goes outside. I don't see anything.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

dryer going out

It may just vent into the crawl space or attic. Even worse, they placed the siding over the vent hole and it is now covered. That would cause your problem. You may have to open the wall space to figure out which direction the duct goes. You can always repair the drywall after you fix the duct problem.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #14

dryer going out

Okay awesome..I will look into it. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

dryer going out

You can buy a clip-on thermostat to check the temp at the vent on the dryer. You will notice the heat will kick on and off. Note the temps this happens. Temp should average around 130. Depending on the stat in the dryer it may kick on at 120 and kick off at 140. 120 +140 = 260/2 +130. It may vary a little as was said depending on the stat in the dryer.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think 135 or 140 would be as high as you would expect the temp to average.

Advertisement

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote