Dryer Extension (Outside) - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dryer Extension (Outside)

I recently had to replace my heating system. The old unit had the outside coil at the end of the unit away from the wall. The builders of the house put the dryer exhaust right over the unit, which worked fine for years other than having to clean lint off the duct covering every now and then. The new unit is an American Standard with external coils running all the way around. The dryer vent is depositing lint on the external coils that are directly facing the dryer vent.

I need to extend the vent away from the unit. Is it feasable to just run a new section of pipe through the wall so that it will extend enough to put a 90 degree elbow outside? I could then run a section of pipe horizontally and adapt a critter cover to fasten directly to the pipe instead of the house. Am I on the right track?

Advertisement

tbzep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pics would help, where are you located, if you in an area which enjoys winter weather I would be careful as to how long you extend the vent outside, as it will condensate and you will gather lint in the vent pipe eventually plugging it and possibly forming ice on the end of the vent.

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Pics would help, where are you located, if you in an area which enjoys winter weather I would be careful as to how long you extend the vent outside, as it will condensate and you will gather lint in the vent pipe eventually plugging it and possibly forming ice on the end of the vent.
I'm at work so pics will have to come later. I'm in TN, which has fairly mild winters, but your Canadian neighbors to the north have been sending me their air all this week and I've been getting 15-20 deg lows.

Last edited by tbzep; 12-08-2010 at 10:27 AM.
tbzep is offline   Reply With Quote