Dryer Exhaust - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dryer Exhaust

Greetings,

When I took apart my dryer to investigate a banging sound, I discovered about a half inch or more of lint covering the dryer bottom and motor. I believe it's due to the strange way the exhaust pipe fits into the blower housing (see pic). They seem to overlap, and the metal pipe can move up and down. Is this the way it is supposed to fit? Should the connection be taped up to prevent lint overflow?

Thanks
Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Dryer Exhaust-dryerexhaust.jpg  

Advertisement

BigPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Dryer Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPat View Post
Greetings,

When I took apart my dryer to investigate a banging sound, I discovered about a half inch or more of lint covering the dryer bottom and motor. I believe it's due to the strange way the exhaust pipe fits into the blower housing (see pic). They seem to overlap, and the metal pipe can move up and down. Is this the way it is supposed to fit? Should the connection be taped up to prevent lint overflow?

Thanks
Patrick
No. There should be no gap/opening in the pipe from where it connects to the dryer to where ever it exhausts to outside.

Advertisement

sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,700

Dryer Exhaust

I can't quite read all of your text because of ads but the pic connection innie - outtie looks just opposite of what it should be and of course the pipe size is wrong.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #4

Dryer Exhaust

Thanks for the replies!

I suspected as much. This is the time to fix it if I'm going to, since I've got the thing taken apart anyway. I'm guessing the plastic (white) should probably go inside the metal, because when I pull the metal pipe up, there's a small gap at the bottom and the top is flush.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Dryer Exhaust

Your vent pipe is too small. You need a 4" pipe, preferably rigid.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #6

Dryer Exhaust

Royal, the picture is a bit misleading, due to the darkness at the bottom. The rigid vent pipe was big enough but was positioned half in and half out of the blower housing. once I got in the proper position and taped up the joint, it worked like a champ.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Dryer Exhaust

the pipe connecting to the dryer still looks too small. it should be the same size as the outlet on the dryer.
the end of the pipe will catch lint on the edge. the dryer outlet should go inside the connecting pipe.

Advertisement

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote