DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Appliances (
-   -   Dryer duct problem (

riverrite 02-14-2010 09:51 AM

Dryer duct problem
I am having trouble keeping my dryer hose connected to the dryer and here's why. The back of my dryer is FLUSH with the end of the vent tube, the sheet metal curves in around the vent tube causing a counter sunk affect. With the end of the duct being flush with the back of the dryer I can't get a screw driver in to tighten it. Iím forced to go in at such an angle; it prevents me from tightening it enough to keep it on. I read that self tappers arenít an option. Any suggestions?

Bob Mariani 02-14-2010 11:37 AM

metal duct tape

riverrite 02-15-2010 08:19 AM

Thanks Bob, maybe I just thought that was too easy and not strong enough, but I'll try it, what have I got to loose?

ccarlisle 02-15-2010 12:04 PM

They sell plastic extension tubes for 3" and 4" dryer vent outlets that you attach to the pipe. Saw them at my local HDepot....

riverrite 02-15-2010 02:20 PM

Then the problem will be, again, attaching it.

gailquilter2 02-22-2010 06:54 PM

See if rare earth magnets stick to the back of the dryer, they can hold many many pounds. Use at least 4 I would guess. If you get them don't try to pull them apart, you'll get a stroke or break your fingernails, push one sideways.

Can I say where I buy mine?

hey it is 4:55 in the afternoon, what gives with the time?

I noticed the time just changed, I just updated my watchacallit. It had me in Casablanca with Bogart.

Gary in WA 02-22-2010 08:31 PM

Before you add ANY plastic to your dryer, check with your local Building Department.

The following building code requirements are the current minimum code standards, as taken from the IRC Code & Commentary 2006, required for crawlspaces in One and Two family dwellings, and based on Kentucky Amendments to the 2007 Kentucky Residential Cod 2. Transition Duct Connectors. (IMC 504.6) specifically addresses transition duct connectors. “Within the context of this section, a transition duct is a flexible connector used as a transition between the dryer outlet and the connection point to the exhaust duct system. Transition duct connectors must be listed and labeled as transition ducts for clothes dryer applications. Transition ducts are currently listed to comply with UL 2158A… Transition ducts are metalized (foil) fabric supported on a spiral wire frame. They are more fire resistant than the typical plastic spiral duct. Transition duct connectors are limited to 8 feet in length and must be installed in compliance with their listing and the manufacturer’s instructions. “These duct connectors must not be concealed by any portion of the structure’s permanent finish materials such as drywall, plaster paneling, [e.g. flooring, ceiling, wall], built-in furniture or cabinets or any other similar permanently affixed building component; they must remain entirely within the room in which the appliance is installed (Section G2439.5, International Fuel Gas Code, Chapter 24, 2006 IRC).”

Do any dryers use 3" ducts? I thought they all required 4", per IRC.

Be safe, Gary

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1