Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #1

Share |

Dryer Drum Roller Siezed

I just finished fixing (I hope) a drum roller that was seized up. I found a few you-tube videos that were very helpful. They all showed how to replace the rollers. When I removed the old roller, however, I noticed there was no ball bearings on it, just a steel bushing. When I cleaned up the shaft and roller bore with varsol, they were both in very good shape. So I put some oil on the bushing (now I wish I would have used grease) and put it back on, and it seems to run fine. I am wondering if it is good for another 10 years, or if I will be doing this again soon because I should have replaced the roller. For those of you familiar with dryer repairs, what do you think ?

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Dryer Drum Roller Siezed

a good cleaning as you did may be good enough to get you by, but the manufactures all will recommend NOT using any type of lubricant on the rollers.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #3

Dryer Drum Roller Siezed

Thanks. Hopefully there was just a piece of lint in there, jamming it up.

Probably they mean don't put lubricant on the plastic roller that is rolling on the drum. The shaft is steel, and the hub looks like cast iron or a sinterred steel. I would say the shaft/bushing needs lubricant.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Dryer Drum Roller Siezed

no, that is what I meant, the shaft nor hub gets lubed.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Dryer Drum Roller Siezed

I should probably explain my previous post a little. With the heat and the continual revolutions of the wheel, the oil will over a short period of time harden and turn into gunk and start to bind and slow down the roller. It is also a huge lint attractor. the best thing is to just replace the roller and be done with it.