Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
TCK

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Does anyone know if this repair man is telling the truth?

My LG was not always emptying the water completely. Leaving just a bit of water in the bottom,but would empty if I spun it again.
I had the repair man look at it and it worked ok at the time, he said there could be a blockage in the hose and would have a look.
Now the pump is not working at all and he has said that this can happen after cleaning the hose out the pump just dies. I wish he had never touched it!

Could this happen? Is it worth fixing we have already spent $170.00 on repairs with the same guy.
Should I just forget it and buy a new one??

TCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Whether he is telling the truth is sort of irrelevant at this point but I doubt he did anything that would cause a total pump failure. It was probably shot and once water flow was restored may have just given out.

You are $175 into an old machine already and by the time you buy a new pump and pay for labor to put it in (another $250-300 or so?) you will have a more substantial chunk invested. I am not one for throwing things away if they can be fixed but there comes a point where it is just not practical to fix them. Depending on how many miles you have on the whole thing, and how high end your model is, you might think about a new one if such is in your budget. On the other hand if none of the rest of it is showing any signs of problems a pump fail is fairly common and you could be good to go for quite awhile after it is replaced.

Last edited by user1007; 10-28-2009 at 09:54 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
TCK

Unhappy

I have been thinking that way as well.Just buy a new machine and count my loss. It just annoys me that before he touched it the machine was still working.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
TCK

Unhappy

[quote=TCK;346490] The pump was working most cycles and just leaving a small amount of water with some of the cycles and would empty when I respun.I don't know how it could just completly die.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts,I have been thinking that I should just buy a new machine and count my loss.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
TCK

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Whether he is telling the truth is sort of irrelevant at this point but I doubt he did anything that would cause a total pump failure. It was probably shot and once water flow was restored may have just given out.

You are $175 into an old machine already and by the time you buy a new pump and pay for labor to put it in (another $250-300 or so?) you will have a more substantial chunk invested. I am not one for throwing things away if they can be fixed but there comes a point where it is just not practical to fix them. Depending on how many miles you have on the whole thing, and how high end your model is, you might think about a new one if such is in your budget. On the other hand if none of the rest of it is showing any signs of problems a pump fail is fairly common and you could be good to go for quite awhile after it is replaced.
The pump was working most cycles and just leaving a small amount of water with some of the cycles and would empty when I respun.I don't know how it could just die.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts,I have been thinking that I should just buy a new machine and count my loss.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #6

whatever was blocking the pump from draining all the way is now inside the pump. take apart the pump (3/4 screws) and remove whatever is in there... maybe just a lint buildup. If you take it apart and find something in there then *bam* your done... if you don't see anything in there then try rotating the impellor inside and see if it moves. if not then go buy a pump yourself and put that bad boy in. save some $$$ hope this helps
ibzbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
TCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibzbro View Post
whatever was blocking the pump from draining all the way is now inside the pump. take apart the pump (3/4 screws) and remove whatever is in there... maybe just a lint buildup. If you take it apart and find something in there then *bam* your done... if you don't see anything in there then try rotating the impellor inside and see if it moves. if not then go buy a pump yourself and put that bad boy in. save some $$$ hope this helps
Thanks for your help. I ended up ringing them back to put in a complaint and they came out and fixed it for free. They said the guy who looked at it the fist time was young and still learning but they would stand by their workmanship. For Allmakes Central Coast looking after their customers.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

WOW! they should be your servicer for life. LG is an expensive appl. and requires special training and tools. they will cost more to repair. there may have been something in the pump[which would have been obvious] or it may have been a bad pump to begin with[common]. in either case they didn't owe you a completely free repair. hope you will tout this servicer to your friends.

Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote