Do They Make A Washing Machine Without All The Electronic Garbage? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Do they make a washing machine without all the electronic garbage?

Does anyone know of a new, hopefully somewhat efficient, washing machine that does NOT have any of the stupid electronic computer-controlled garbage on it?

My only requirements are:
- Top loading <--extremely important, cramped space
- White in color
- Largest capacity possible. I like the 4.6-5.0 cu. ft. models
- No auger in the middle
- Under $1000

Before anyone asks, my reasons for not wanting the electronics are:
- I would never be able to figure out how to use it
- I don't NEED any of that extra functionality - just the basics: small/med/lg and hot/cold
- Most importantly, they are probably extremely expensive to repair

I currently have a 12-year-old Maytag which came with the house when I bought it - and it is extremely noisy, walks itself across the floor, shakes the whole back of the house when on spin cycle, and leaks about 1/2 gallon of water onto the floor per cycle. The estimate to repair the leak was $200 (tub seal and bearing kit) but that won't do anything about the noise and "walking". I'd rather just replace it.

Anyone have experience with a large, yet SIMPLE and BASIC model? I've looked at Sears/Kmart and Lowe's (those are the two closest stores) but they're all electronic, at least the large ones.

Advertisement

nezwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Absolutely i have a whirlpool estate top loader no fancy anything. I think 5 years ago i paid 3-400 for it. 3 dials. Load size smail medium large. Water temp cold warm hot. Then main dial.

Advertisement

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, and I just looked those up - but they only make 2.5 and a 3.2 cu. ft. capacity models.

I have been able to find "basic" models at the stores, but none that were large enough. We do 4 or more loads of laundry per week as it is, and we need to be able to wash king size comforters. The agitator gets in the way and we can barely fit the queen size comforter in our current machine.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,232

I don't think you're going to find any top-loading washer without an agitator. How would you expect it to even work? I don't know its capacity, but we have a Maytag Centennial washer that's pretty large. No fancy electronics, just knobs, and holds our queen-sized bedspreads easily.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,834

Speaking of the agitator, we bought a washer with the low profile agitator and we hate that thing, it tears your clothes up and wads them up big time. We will never have another one like this, we will buy one with the tall agitator.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I don't think you're going to find any top-loading washer without an agitator. How would you expect it to even work?
This is what I'm talking about when I say "no agitator": http://www.sears.com/lg-4.7-cu-ft-hi...p-02635552000P

I guess "low profile" would be the more correct term. I just don't want that huge plastic auger in the middle of the tub. The bed comforters don't fit, and shoelaces and my GF's bras get all wrapped around it.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Speaking of the agitator, we bought a washer with the low profile agitator and we hate that thing, it tears your clothes up and wads them up big time. We will never have another one like this, we will buy one with the tall agitator.
Wow, I'll keep that in mind. I've seen similar feedback in some of the reviews of the washers but wasn't sure what to think.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Two 2.5 cu. ft. front loaders stacked one on top of the other. I know the dryers in my building are stacked. Not sure it you could make that work with washers.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 564

Keep your old one. The new agitatorless machines are going to be electronic. They weigh the clothes and adjust the water level to minimize the amount of water. As BigJim stated, the new machines are really hard on clothes. A relative purchased a new Maytag that was defective from day 1.
djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djlandkpl For This Useful Post:
BigJim (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,698

Too bad these aren't made any longer because they have few electronics, work well during power outages and won't tie your undies in a knot.

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Two 2.5 cu. ft. front loaders stacked one on top of the other. I know the dryers in my building are stacked. Not sure it you could make that work with washers.
Would love to be able to use even one front loader but I don't have the clearance. Our laundry room is so tiny that the "walkway" between the appliances and the wall behind where the user stands isn't even big enough for the door of the dryer to fully open.

It's far from ideal but I didn't design it. Our house was built ca. 1875 and the laundry room is a small space taken from the old back porch.

So the washer will have to be top loading. Too bad they don't have top loading dryers too huh.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Keep your old one. The new agitatorless machines are going to be electronic. They weigh the clothes and adjust the water level to minimize the amount of water. As BigJim stated, the new machines are really hard on clothes. A relative purchased a new Maytag that was defective from day 1.
So you think it may be worth investing the $200 in this pile of crap noisy unstable washing machine? It cleans clothes correctly but otherwise it's a pretty harsh-running piece of equipment.

I guess I will have to consider buying one with the huge agitator. I will still need the largest machine possible though.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Too bad these aren't made any longer because they have few electronics, work well during power outages and won't tie your undies in a knot.

Nice. Kinda like the crate from the Kerosene-powered refrigerator I found in my house when we moved here.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezwick View Post
So you think it may be worth investing the $200 in this pile of crap noisy unstable washing machine? It cleans clothes correctly but otherwise it's a pretty harsh-running piece of equipment.

I guess I will have to consider buying one with the huge agitator. I will still need the largest machine possible though.
If you like the machine, and the max cost will be $200 I would fix it. I have a 1993 washer that I'm praying never dies. Having looked recently at new machines for family, I wouldn't want to buy one of them.

You can get anti vibration pads to put under the machine. It may help with the noise.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2022123...8#.UT-xy1f75EM
djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #15

Awesome - was not aware of the anti-vibration pads. I will definitely be getting those. Someday the floor will be getting pulled up and reinforced to fix the bounce, but for now, those might just be helpful.

Advertisement