Disposal & Dishwasher Stopped Working - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Disposal & Dishwasher stopped working

Both appliances stopped working at the same time. Initially I checked the breaker and it had tripped, so I reset it and confirmed that the outlet(s) are working. I tried resetting the disposal, but no luck. So at this point I assume that either both appliances are fried or I'm just overlooking something.

BTW, there was a close lightning strike that fried phones and computer components in my house. Do large appliances on a GFI get fried?

I am looking for suggestions for the next step. Electrician? Plumber? Replace both?

Advertisement

dwinter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,170

Is there a GFCI receptacle under the sink that is tripped?

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

There may even be a plain old Buss fused receptacle under the sink that the appliances are plugged into. That is the case in my older home.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #4

I may be incorrect about it being a GFI outlet. I looked and it's just a regular outlet. No reset on it. There is nothing else under there than I can see and I have plugged in a lamp to both sides of the outlet and confirmed they are functional.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #5

GFCIs aren't the best with big electric motors, so the codes don't require them for a disposal (last I checked).

could it be that they both have some of internal specialized GFI, and you have a ground fault?
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #6

I suppose that's possible. I have a new disposal being delivered next week. I'm not competent enough to operate on the electronics myself.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #7

you could try them both with extention cords to other, seperate, circuts.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #8

forresth.... Simple yet brilliant! I hadn't thought to try this, but I now know that the appliances are functional and that i need to troubleshoot the electrical.

Is this something that is safe for an amateur to continue to troubleshoot or should I call in a professional at this point?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

"dwinter13" IF you have confirmed that the units do indeed work by using an alternate power source method: Then I would say that IF you do not have some electrical experience with tracing circuits it would be beneficial to have an electrician come out. There is also a likely situation that these units receive power via an electrical outlet upstream. The outlet may have fried and not be allowing the circuit to continue on to these units. So many things to check. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #10

So many things to check, indeed. I was overwhelmed with the multitude of possibilities, but having a path for troubleshooting is helpful. Thank you all for your help. I'm likely going to call an electrician out to complete the process though.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

I helped a lady at work with the exact same scenario. I traced it to a wire that had burnt the tar out of a wire nut in the outlet and had come apart.

Advertisement