Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Dishwasher won't run - latch sensor?

Loaded up the dishwasher earlier, turned it on, and nothing. After troubleshooting some of the basics, I noticed that if I put pressure on the door, the dishwashing cycle will begin, as soon as I take my hand off, it will stop. This leads me to believe that it is a problem with the latch...I assume the dishwasher will not activate until it is securely latched.

However, the door shuts just fine...If the door is closed, I can't open it even a crack by pulling on the door without the latch...seems like it is properly shut to me.

Not sure how old the unit is but I estimate it to be 7-10 years old...just a wild guess though. It is a Kenmore...

Anyone have any luck with something like this in the past....should I just start looking to replace it with a newer model. A dishwasher is really not something I want to mess around with due to any potential water hazards..or electric for that matter...

elementz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

probably a door latch switch out of adjustment or going bad, may have to open it up to see if it can be adjusted or most likely replaced. Model# would help to tell you what you need to do.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #3

Here are a couple of pictures.

Probably can't tell much from this one but it is a picture of where the door latches...I can't see anything out of the ordinary here. The door itself latches to it just fine and is stable when closed

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is the info tag....I tried a quick search of that model number but it didn't return anything relevant.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,000

to see the problem you will have to take the inner door panel off, exposing the latch assy. It should have 2 micro switches on it.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #5

Do you mean the door itself or the actual inside panel you see when the door is open