Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #1

Share |

Dishwasher replacement

Hi everyone-

How difficult is the replacement of an old dishwasher for a new one? This is for a rental property I have, and I've never done any plumbing before. If it's easy enough I'd give it a shot but don't want to risk doing it wrong since it's not my own residence. I was thinking of buying a $200 model and don't want to spend $150 getting it installed. Thanks a lot!

-Greg

c00rdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #2

Dishwasher replacement

I replaced mine fior rental last year. I too opted for $200 model and saved on deliver/install by doing mysefl.

The instructions were pretty thorough and the install was pretty easy. Do you have disposal?

make sure you measure the space, ensure new d/w is level and depending on age reverse the removal of old for install. My biggest issue was with inlet and the diff btwn the old and the new. I had to buy a new elbow I believe...

Good luck!! Save the money and DIY!!

Han'D' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Dishwasher replacement

They are usually pretty easy. You might have to buy some plumbing connection kits. But no big deal. Do measure so you get the right size though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Dishwasher replacement

One thing I would advise you on: Look to see if new flooring has been added since the last dishwasher was installed. I ran into this last Oct. The homeowner had a "Pergo" type flooring installed in the kitchen which raised the floor level up about 5/8" or so. The old dishwasher was at it's lowest level also. I had to get them to agree to allow me to either remove one section of laminate c'top or to try and jack it up on that end. I'm glad the dishwasher was placed near the end. I was able to use a jack and push the c'top up enough to get the old unit out and the new unit in. I also advise to get a dishwasher hose kit (or whatever they are called), with the braided flexible hose for installation. This makes it so much easier than trying to retro-fit and old copper line. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote