Dishwasher Replace With New Tile Floor - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 590

dishwasher replace with new tile floor

Getting ready to order a new dishwasher to install for my GF. I have never done one of these but it doesn't look to be very high on the difficulty scale compared to a lot of stuff I do. But.... she had a tile floor put in her kitchen that may make it hard to get the old unit out. I am thinking that I can pretty easily jack the front legs up and in out of the way but I am not sure that I will be able to get at the rear ones when I pull the beast out. I am afraid they might not clear the tile. Anyone have any tricks or other sage advice? I'd really rather not have to cut out a couple of tiles....

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,216

Measure the height from floor to the bottom of the counter----check that your new machine will fit before you destroy the old one.

Tile installer should be slapped---proper installation involves removing the dishwasher and tiling under it.

Slap them but good----

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #3

I went and had another look. The tilers apparently jacked up the front of the dishwasher and ran the tile a couple inches past the front DW legs. With the trim plate installed you wouldn't know the tile was not continuous uner the DW.

I did measure the opening and it is 34 3/8" from the tile (more to the old lino in the back) to under the counter, 24" wide and 24" deep. Pretty standard opening and the DWs I am looking at all meet that spec.

So... the question is when I pull it out will there be enough wiggle room to tilt it to get the back legs to clear the tile and finish pulling it out?

Another interesting thing is that the water supply connection does not come from the kitchen faucet feed. I don't see it so it apparently is plumbed with a separate line right to the DW. I suppose there would be a shutoff valve back there but seems of little value since it is not normally accessible.

Last edited by raylo32; 11-11-2012 at 12:09 PM.
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,216

You will be able to get that out---no big problem---
In the old days--the dishwasher line was frequently a separate feed from the basement---

It's a good plan to add a shut off under the sink----in an emergency the basement shut offs are hard to locate.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,060

you should have no problem getting it past the tile, if you look you can reach the back levelers to screw them up. Or once you get it slid out about a foot it will be much easier to screw them in.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #6

Thanks for the input, guys. I feel more confident about getting it out now. This is a condo (ground floor on slab) so the main house shutoff is only about 10 feet away in the util room. So I probably won't muck around with changing whatever water supply setup she has except for maybe a new SS braided flex hose to connect between the supply line and the DW... or are those even allowed in concealed areas like behind a DW? I guess I really need to see what's back there first.

Last edited by raylo32; 11-11-2012 at 01:36 PM.
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,060

definitely use the ss flex line

Advertisement

oh'mike (11-13-2012)