Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #1

Share |

Dishwasher mounting?

On our kitchen remodel our counters are coming this Weds. Just today the installer asked if the dishwasher was onsite, so they could "mount it to the underside of the counter.

Our appliances will not be in until the following week.

The counter co. said we could also mount it to the side of the cabinets.

Is either a better way? seems that mounting it to the counter could damage the counter if you ever needed to pull it out for any reason.

I've never heard of this at all.
Advice, suggestions?
troyce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Dishwasher mounting?

Dishwashers are always mounted to the countertop. No damage will occur if properly installed. They are also optionally attached to the side cabinets, but not usually done.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #3

Dishwasher mounting?

Screws are used on the mounting brackets which are easily removed should the unit need to be pulled out for repair or replacement.
A competent appliance installer should be well versed in the details.
Revue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:09 AM   #4

Dishwasher mounting?

if this is a stone counter-top, don't install at top. it won't hold, even if they use epoxy etc to mount studs... depends on what brand, consult installation papers. some have access holes on sides but if installer overtightens, the tub will bow and d/w will leak. there is also a kit that installs on frame underneath avail. if c/t is drillable ie; corion,wood,etc then screw to top. that's the best method.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
SDC

Dishwasher mounting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
if this is a stone counter-top, don't install at top. it won't hold, even if they use epoxy etc to mount studs... depends on what brand, consult installation papers. some have access holes on sides but if installer overtightens, the tub will bow and d/w will leak. there is also a kit that installs on frame underneath avail. if c/t is drillable ie; corion,wood,etc then screw to top. that's the best method.
Not necessarily true. My granite/stone guys drill holes and plug them, then fasten dishwasher as usual. I have done them this way for years, never a failure. I do agree if you just use epoxy, it will not last for long.
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #6

Dishwasher mounting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC View Post
Not necessarily true. My granite/stone guys drill holes and plug them, then fasten dishwasher as usual. I have done them this way for years, never a failure. I do agree if you just use epoxy, it will not last for long.
can't argue with success. your guys are evidently top notch. i however find many times these plugs work loose. the remodeler is long gone and the cust now has another problem.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

Dishwasher mounting?

We epoxy a double 1/4-20 nut into granite. Never heard of one coming out. The feet are adjusted up and tight, so not much force is exerted on these except a slight perpendicular force to prevent tipping.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #8

Dishwasher mounting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post

Yep, I was plagued with a mysterious leak for over a decade. I think it is because we were using side clips to mount 2 separate dishwashers. Over five pros have been to the site to diagnose the problem. I've replaced the same section of flooring in the kitchen 3 times, had the plumbing under the sink rerouted, threw out the first dishwasher that was probably just fine, made other suggested repairs.... Finally, the last repair person removed the side clips, and I think that was the problem all along.

So here i am trying to figure out how to stabilize the dishwasher since the countertop is granite. Those side clips are evil.
landgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
Chicago, IL

Dishwasher mounting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landgirl View Post
Yep, I was plagued with a mysterious leak for over a decade... \
What brand(s) were the dishwashers?
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #10

Dishwasher mounting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas

What brand(s) were the dishwashers?
Amana and now Kenmore.

I'm off to find some type of floor mount to hold in in place.
landgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
Chicago, IL

Dishwasher mounting?

Thanks. Added to my notes.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote