Dishwasher Line To Disposal: Water In Bottom Of DW - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Dishwasher line to disposal: water in bottom of DW

Moved into a new house. The dishwasher seems to run just fine but has standing water 1/4 - 1/2 inch above the drain screen. There seems to be a long way to go for the pump to pump water out of the line from the DW to the disposal. #2, it also seems like gravity is certainly working against it. The disposal entry for the line is about a foot above the bottom of the DW. When the pump is done pumping, my guess is that all the water that's left in the line comes crashing back down into the DW. As a result, it stinks! What am I missing? I can shorten up the line but can't do a thing about the gravity issue. OR...is my DW faulty.

OH...BTW...took the whole thing out today and disconnected all the hoses...no clogs whatsoever.

Advertisement

smawgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,060

the dishwasher drain line needs to be elevated above the disposal. Raise it to the bottom of the counter top then loop it back down to the disposal. what you are getting back into you dishwasher is waste water from the sink

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
the dishwasher drain line needs to be elevated above the disposal. Raise it to the bottom of the counter top then loop it back down to the disposal. what you are getting back into you dishwasher is waste water from the sink
I would say that is true but there is water in the DW after it runs and I've not run any water into the disposal from the sink that would run back into the DW. In other words, I've not run any water into the disposal once the DW was done with a cycle. But I'll try elevating the line and see what happens.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,060

if you have standing water in the dishwasher after a complete cycle then you clearly have a problem with your dishwashers pump.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
if you have standing water in the dishwasher after a complete cycle then you clearly have a problem with your dishwashers pump.
Yeah...a friend of mine said there should be a check valve that should stop water from coming back into the machine from the line to the disposal. Maybe that's the problem. He's certainly no authority on dishwashers but it makes sense. ?? Thanks Hardwareman.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

What Hardwareman said but get the line up as soon as you can reducing the amount of line to hold water. The key word "stinks" means its pulling from the disposer.

Last edited by josall; 05-14-2011 at 03:31 PM.
josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

This is so basic that I hesitate to ask it for fear of embarrassing someone. Is the plug in the side of the disposal inlet fully knocked out?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
This is so basic that I hesitate to ask it for fear of embarrassing someone. Is the plug in the side of the disposal inlet fully knocked out?
Yup

Advertisement