DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Appliances (http://www.diychatroom.com/f47/)
-   -   dishwasher kit (http://www.diychatroom.com/f47/dishwasher-kit-126136/)

dinosaur1 12-09-2011 11:37 PM

dishwasher kit
 
I'm installing my new dishwasher tomorrow. What is my best bet when it comes to buying a dishwasher kit? I plan on getting a stainless steel braided hot water supply line.

I bought this one.
http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances.../DMT400RHS/XAA

oh'mike 12-10-2011 05:33 AM

Are you talking about a water line? The stainless lines are great----Many new machines require a 3/4" garden hose type adapter---that should be in the bag with the hose--some require a 1/2"x3/8" angle adapter--that should also be in the bag

dinosaur1 12-10-2011 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike
Are you talking about a water line? The stainless lines are great----Many new machines require a 3/4" garden hose type adapter---that should be in the bag with the hose--some require a 1/2"x3/8" angle adapter--that should also be in the bag

I need the entire dishwasher kit.
90 elbow, rubber connector, air gap, tube fittings, strain relief, hose clamp or power cable.

When I look at the new drain hose on the dishwasher it doesn't look long enough to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

oh'mike 12-10-2011 07:01 AM

I install a bunch of dishwashers in a year---the hose will be long enough if the sink cabinet is next to the dishwasher---

The air gap is not required in Illinois--so I don't know about that---I just loop the drain hose up to the bottom of the counter top.

Don't know what a 'strain relief' is---

Most dish washers here are hard wired using greenfield (metal flex) --If yours gets plugged in--a short 20 amp appliance cord should do----

Are you replacing an old machine or adding one to a place for the first time?

oh'mike 12-10-2011 07:08 AM

Just a tip----Make your height adjustments before you push that thing into the hole----

You will not be able to adjust the back levelers easily after it's in place---

oh'mike 12-10-2011 07:12 AM

Another tip---the screw clips the you use to attach the machine to the underside of the counter--

If the counter top is stone and you don't want to attach to that---

The clips can be moved to the sides of the door--allowing you to secure the unit to the cabinets--not the counter top----

dinosaur1 12-10-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike
I install a bunch of dishwashers in a year---the hose will be long enough if the sink cabinet is next to the dishwasher---

The air gap is not required in Illinois--so I don't know about that---I just loop the drain hose up to the bottom of the counter top.

Don't know what a 'strain relief' is---

Most dish washers here are hard wired using greenfield (metal flex) --If yours gets plugged in--a short 20 amp appliance cord should do----

Are you replacing an old machine or adding one to a place for the first time?

Yes I'm replacing an old one. Our countertops are not stone. Should I go into Home Depot and just get a dishwasher kit? I was told I need a 3/8 MI 3/8 compression 90.

oh'mike 12-10-2011 07:37 AM

The stainless water line comes with the dishwasher angle fittings---so if your old shut off is 3/8" you should have everything needed for the water feed---if your old shut off is 1/2" you may need a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer---that is included with some hoses.too.

Is an air gap required in your area?--If not --just loop the hose up under the counter top---

dinosaur1 12-10-2011 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike
The stainless water line comes with the dishwasher angle fittings---so if your old shut off is 3/8" you should have everything needed for the water feed---if your old shut off is 1/2" you may need a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer---that is included with some hoses.too.

Is an air gap required in your area?--If not --just loop the hose up under the counter top---



Attachment 42299

Here is what my manual says is not included. I do have an air gap.

oh'mike 12-10-2011 07:44 AM

If you can post a picture of the existing under sink set up--that would help---

Does the drain currently attach to the garbage disposal or the sink tail piece?

If the tail piece---make sure the opening is the correct size---Depot only sells tail piece adapters in a small size that requires cutting the rubber boot on the drain hose---

I always change those to the larger size (available at Menards) --Sorry--don't have the sizes in my head---look at the inlet on a garbage disposer--that is the size you want---

oh'mike 12-10-2011 07:52 AM

Look under the old machine---is it hard wired now? if so--no power cord is needed--just two or three new yellow wire nuts---

Your existing air gap and it hose should be fine---get a new one if the old one looks like it needs replacing.

The angle fitting comes with the hose---that nut and ferrule shown is not needed if you use a flex line--

Do buy a new hose clamp or two---

dinosaur1 12-10-2011 08:06 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike
If you can post a picture of the existing under sink set up--that would help---

Does the drain currently attach to the garbage disposal or the sink tail piece?

If the tail piece---make sure the opening is the correct size---Depot only sells tail piece adapters in a small size that requires cutting the rubber boot on the drain hose---

I always change those to the larger size (available at Menards) --Sorry--don't have the sizes in my head---look at the inlet on a garbage disposer--that is the size you want---



Attachment 42304

Back of new dishwasher

Attachment 42305

Front of new dishwasher

Attachment 42303

Air gap

Attachment 42302

Under sink

Attachment 42301

Under sink

Attachment 42300

Dishwasher space

dinosaur1 12-10-2011 08:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike
Look under the old machine---is it hard wired now? if so--no power cord is needed--just two or three new yellow wire nuts---

Your existing air gap and it hose should be fine---get a new one if the old one looks like it needs replacing.

The angle fitting comes with the hose---that nut and ferrule shown is not needed if you use a flex line--

Do buy a new hose clamp or two---



Attachment 42307

Dishwasher kit from Sears. Will this work. 96 inches seems very long though.

Attachment 42308

Another pic of same kit

oh'mike 12-10-2011 08:12 AM

You are hard wired---you need a romex to box connector--

Use the existing air gap---just need a hose clamp--

water line should have the angle fitting needed in the bag---

Your drain line looks long enough from here--

oh'mike 12-10-2011 08:15 AM

That 96" will allow you work more easily---just make sure the extra is out of the way of the motor and you will be fine--


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 PM.