Dishwasher Inlet Valve Replacement Issue - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dishwasher inlet valve replacement issue

Hey all,

new to the forum and new to home ownership and repair so please forgive the lack of experience question.

Anyway, I have a Frigidaire dishwasher that is at least 15 years old. Based on Googling around I think I need to replace the water inlet valve since I get no water into the dishwasher but the motor runs. I found a great Youtube video on how to do this. I turned off the water and began to unscrew the inlet pipe/hose and water began leaking out, which I was told was normal to have a little...so I kept unscrewing and it just kept flowing. I didn't take it all the way off out of fear that I would have a small flood in a few minutes, so I screwed it back on. I double checked to make sure the water was off and it was. I eventually turned off water to the whole house just to be certain. Then I tried again to have the same problem. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Any insight is much appreciated.

Jason

Advertisement

odieman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,192

I moved this to 'appliances'---Be patient--appliance questions seem to get answered in the wee hours of the morning----Mike-----

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,056

turn off main water valve, go to the lowest level faucet in your house and turn it on go to any other faucet turn it on . This will bleed all the water from your lines.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
turn off main water valve, go to the lowest level faucet in your house and turn it on go to any other faucet turn it on . This will bleed all the water from your lines.
Great advice, did that and it stopped the leak, but now the faucet that I turned on to bleed the water won't stop streaming water! It's a slow stream, but why isn't this stopping?? It's been a good 30 mins...This is the biggest pain in the butt for a small job...

HELP!
odieman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,056

LOL, yeah that sometimes happens when you turn off old valves that have not been turned in a long while. Now unfortunately you will probably have to replace that shutoff
Old 05-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
English Only Please

Rewards Points: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
LOL, yeah that sometimes happens when you turn off old valves that have not been turned in a long while. Now unfortunately you will probably have to replace that shutoff
Would he have to have the city shut the water off in order to do that?

I have an idea of how to get the dishwasher back on track, but he must work quickly!

Use a braided stainless line with compression fittings on each end. Hook up the inlet valve, connect the line to the inlet and very quickly cut off the copper pipe! Use a stainless inline valve with a slip fitting and towels to soak up the water.

Advertisement

BirdSlapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dishwasher , frigidaire , inlet valve , leak