Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

dehumidifier in basements

Hi All

If one's basement is completed and has a closed furnace room Does a portable dehumidifier still collect the moisture, if its placed in the furnace room, from other areas.

or does each room needs its own dehumidifier.

Amitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amitabh View Post
Hi All

If one's basement is completed and has a closed furnace room Does a portable dehumidifier still collect the moisture, if its placed in the furnace room, from other areas.

If the furnace is running, most likely that particular room will be drier, especially since it's a furnace room. Typically, you'd want a dehumidifier in areas that have higher humidity levels for both comfort and moisture.

One per level is probably okay for a finished space. My humidifier runs non stop during wet months. You can certainly use two if the one is always running and humidity levels are not lowering to your liking.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cibula11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #3

hmmm - i really dont want a dehumidifier in my man - cave...
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
hmmm - i really dont want a dehumidifier in my man - cave...
They aren't that big and most of them sound like a quiet fan. You can tuck them under side tables, tables, desks, etc.

Do you know what the humidity levels are? I guess the scary alternative is to have your man cave become a mold cave.

Is your basement musty and humid? Just curious as to why you asked about dehumidifiers in the first place.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

right now - and it just rained yesterday, 37%, normal 34%, but not finished, am trying to finish.

xps insulation right now. i removed the FG blanket and plastic crap
Old 04-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

It's worth it to find some space in the mancave for it. Basements will always have a higher risk of mold damage and a dehumidifier can go a long way to prevent that.
elbowgreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Quote:
Hi All

It really depends on how humid it gets down there. As long as you have vents and returns down there. It should stay within what the upstairs is.

Right now my basement is at 56% rh, 65 deg. F. Upstairs is 43% rh, 73 deg. F. I try to keep our basement cool and no higher then 56% rh, 69 deg. F during the Summer.

Never had any issues with mold or mildew down there.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It really depends on how humid it gets down there. As long as you have vents and returns down there. It should stay within what the upstairs is.
That all depends on how old your basement is! I live in a 100 year old house and the concrete is not what it once was. As a result the humidity is always pretty high and I have to run a dehumidifier for most of the summer. If I don't then the sweat off the toilet tank and copper lines causes issues.

That being said, my dehumidifier is in the other room (furnace room) and I have connected ductwork to the machine and punched it through the drywall. Finished the return and intake ducts with normal vent covers. This works but but there was a slight 'dampening' effect with the built in humidistat so I maxed it out and rigged up a wall mount humidistat in the main room with a plug on it, which now supplies power to the dehumidifier.

You can still hear it running when it's on, but it's not nearly as loud.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Sanders For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Mine is coming in pretty close. It is around 78 years old. It stays dry down there all of the time. I just had to turn the fan on today, due to it was getting a little musty smelling downstairs.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #10

I live in a 150 yr old house and my 50pt dehumidifier starts in April and never shuts off until October. It keeps the humidity down to around 40-45% most of the time which is nice, but the dehumidifier probably hates me.

Stone walls, partial concrete floor, lots of dirt floor.

In my opinion, if the furnace room gets air circulation from the rest of the basement it will probably work fine in there. Give it a shot and use a hydrometer to see how your man cave stays. If it stays comfortable, say around 40-50% then call it good.
cj133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:04 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,174

' dont want a dehumidifier in my man - cave ' - easier solution is move your ' man - cave ' to a dryer location

no one alive can get 5gal of wtr into a 4 gal bucket its only april & ours has been running a wk steady,,, probably that's why the machine's called ' AUTOMATIC ' its in the walkout bsmt level where we have 1 vented bathroom, the exercise room, utility room, my office, & genl other space,,, you do have choices - but you don't like them,,, so move the room to somewhere else !

how difficult is that ? just suck it up
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:35 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,814

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj133 View Post
I live in a 150 yr old house and my 50pt dehumidifier starts in April and never shuts off until October. It keeps the humidity down to around 40-45% most of the time which is nice, but the dehumidifier probably hates me.

Stone walls, partial concrete floor, lots of dirt floor.

In my opinion, if the furnace room gets air circulation from the rest of the basement it will probably work fine in there. Give it a shot and use a hydrometer to see how your man cave stays. If it stays comfortable, say around 40-50% then call it good.

If the furnace room gets its combustion air from outside, then making a hole in the wall between it and the man cave. Will increase the humidity of the man cave. Even with the dehumidifier running.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
If the furnace room gets its combustion air from outside, then making a hole in the wall between it and the man cave. Will increase the humidity of the man cave. Even with the dehumidifier running.

Very true and a good point that I didn't think of.
However there is a good chance the furnace room pulls combustion air from it's surroundings or the furnace could even be a direct vent in wish case it doesn't need combustion air fed into the room.

I suppose at this point we need to know if the furnace needs combustion air and if so where does it come from?

Amitabh : Does your furnace have a chimney or does it vent via PVC piping? Also are there any vents from outside to the furnace room, like grates, automatic dampers, anything? Can you show us some pictures?
cj133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Retired from the grind

We ran the a/c all day yesterday. Downstairs for me stayed around 56% rh, 66f. Upstairs was at 70f 44%rh, even though the thermostat was at 72f. Did not take long to pull it down from 78 to 70.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj133 View Post
Amitabh : Does your furnace have a chimney or does it vent via PVC piping? Also are there any vents from outside to the furnace room, like grates, automatic dampers, anything? Can you show us some pictures?
the furnace vents outside via a PVC pipe. The humidity right now is 40%rh. But the basement is yet to be finished. I am thinking about the future, placement of grates (for intake and outtake) and finally level of humidity.

What i did notice in my basement (and going off topic), is that i only have one return opening in the entire unfinished basement and thats not even in the middle of the room, its off to one side.

I wonder if i installed at least 1 more intake - i think that should improve air movement and perhaps reduce humidity?

I will definitely install grates in the furnace room, just so air moves in that room