Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
RDS

Share |

Defrost problem

I have a Kenmore Elite fridge with freezer on top. I am getting water accumulating in the bottom of the fridge compartment, i.e. under the drawers.

Having done some investigating and reading (including threads here), I know the source but not the cause. When the freezer auto-defrosts, the water, instead of running down the tube (apologies for not using the proper terms) into the evaporation pan under the fridge, is forming an ice dam on the floor of the freezer compartment. When it reaches a certain height, it drips down the vents between the two compartments, and ends up in the bottom of the fridge compartment.

Any thoughts on why the ice dam is forming? There is no foreign object blocking the top of the tube -- I defrosted the whole unit, and the only thing blocking the tube was ice. This was a month ago. I also vacuumed the coils under the fridge. I notice today that the ice dam has returned and the dripping has resumed.

The only regular maintenance I have not done (fridge is four years old) is vacuum the coils on the back of the unit. The owner's manual, which is next to useless, tells me to pull out the unit, unplug it, and vacuum the coils. Problem is, they are not visible. I was reluctant to go removing the back panel, where I presume I would find them, but I could do so if that is likely to be contributing to the problem. (Dust>insulation>improper defrosting, maybe?) What do you think? What is the likely source of the problem? Something I can DIY fix or a job for a pro?

Thanks in advance.

RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Defrost problem

did you make sure the drain tube ( underneath the evap coil in the freezer) was completly thawed? did you pour hot water down it? If so sometimes the only way to stop this from reoccuring is to add an auxiliary heater down into the drain tube. If this is an older model you can also make a heat transfer strap from a piece of copper wire. Make a loop on 1 end of a piece about 6" long, wrap it around the defrost heater tube, it must be a calrod not a glass tube, and shove the other end down the drain tube a few inches.

hardwareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
RDS

Defrost problem

Thanks. You're right, it's possible the drain tube was not completely thawed. I could figure out no way of visually verifying this. I did not pour hot water down it, but maybe I will try that when I tackle this again on the weekend.

It's not a very old fridge -- between four and nine years (purchased new by previous owners). This problem has only appeared in the past 2-3 months. Before then, no problems in four years.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #4

Defrost problem

make sure drain is ok by doing the water thingie. if it comes back; go to local appl parts store and tell them your problem. there's a heat sink kit with a Whirlpool part # for this. throw away the tube that comes with it.
Jacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
RDS

Defrost problem

Right on. You guys have been a great help. Wish me luck.