Deep Freeze Keeps Running - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 286

deep freeze keeps running

Electric bills have seemed extra high lately, so I've been searching for the culprit. I actually bought a 1950's vintage fridge a few months ago and figured that was the culprit even though it is rated at 2.3amps. In any case I spent about an hour this evening checking the amp draw and trying to see how much it was running. In any case during this time, I decided it wasn't the culprit because it took 15 min to kick on with the door wide open and the draw was still only 2.3amps with motor running and once the door shut it was off within a few minutes.

In any case, I realized the whole time I was messing with this fridge that our upright deep freeze was running, never once turning off. I opened the door, and adjusted the thermostat off the highest setting and it finally kicked off. I just went back a few minutes ago and it was still off, so I opened the door and messed again with the thermostat and got it to kick on and off messing with that. I am curious if there could be a problem or how much those should run. An hour never shutting off seems excessive for a freezer that's only about 8years old. I also don't think anyone's been in it for several days, so it isn't like it was opened recently and several months ago, I reworked the seal as it had come loose in a few spots.

Being as it has a 5amp draw, that could very likely be a huge culprit and about the only thing I can think of. What might cause this???

Thanks for any pointers or places to start looking. I did notice some lint build up underneath, so I'll blow/vacuum that out tomorrow.

Ohhh Yeah....WAY TO GO SHOX!!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by Master Brian; 03-24-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

The gasket is failing and you wonder why it's running? Hmm.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

If the condensing coil (that little radiator at the back) is plugged with lint it will cycle on for a long time. The fan on the condenser may have failed as well.
rckkrgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The gasket is failing and you wonder why it's running? Hmm.
I didn't say the gasket was failing, the gasket had gotten stuck and pulled out of the 'rail' it sits in due to some fruit juice or something that had gotten spilled in there. The juice caused the gasket to stick and thus it had gotten pulled away when the door was opened as everything had frozen together and apparently no one had caught it until my wife told me it wasn't freezing well. When it was caught I fixed it and it's been fixed for months now and seals up great. In fact it was the 1st thing I checked last night when I noticed it running excessively.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckkrgrd View Post
If the condensing coil (that little radiator at the back) is plugged with lint it will cycle on for a long time. The fan on the condenser may have failed as well.
Can I ask where that fan is located? There is a fan that blows inside the freezer and it still works, is that what you are speaking of?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

There should be a fan at the back blowing air through the condenser coils, the radiator thingy that needs to be clean. The one inside ciculates air through the evaporator coils. You may be running low on refrigerant as well which would rerquire a call to a service man.
One other thing, I don,t know if you have a defrost cycle but your evaporator coils may be froze up,especially if you had a seal leaking for a while. If you suspect this empty it and unplug it for a day and see how much water runs out'

Last edited by rckkrgrd; 03-24-2013 at 10:31 PM.
rckkrgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,060

take temp reading inside freezer.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
Can I ask where that fan is located? There is a fan that blows inside the freezer and it still works, is that what you are speaking of?
most deep freezes do not use a condenser fan motor

Advertisement