Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Dead Ice Maker

We have a Whirlpool (ED22TEXHW) Side-by-Side refrigerator (Water/Ice in door). It just stopped making ice. I do not hear the fridge "call" for water any more. It was (I think) on Saturday but now nothing. The ice machine goes through the motions as if ice was there (the fingers rotate accordingly). I did replace the Inlet Valve in 2005. My question is this: is this a repeat problem (inlet valve) or something else??? Any advice/comments are welcome.

jpmccr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Tileguy

Dead Ice Maker

When is the last time you replaced the water filters?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #3

Dead Ice Maker

Currently we don't have one in place. We haven't gotten around to replacing it. Would that make a difference?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Tileguy

Dead Ice Maker

Quote:
Would that make a difference?
Our ice maker was producing smaller than usual cubes for a while then it stopped making ice totally. We noticed the same symptoms you describe. I called the retailer we bought the fridge from and that's what he asked me. "When's the last time you replaced the water filter?"

I installed a new filter - problem solved.

So...I am guessing that if the unit has been without a filter for a time and your water is crusty enough something may well be stopped up by now. Just a guess. Probably would have been cheaper to replace the filter way back when.

Like I said...just guessing.

Ours has an idiot light that lit up to tell us the filter needed replacing many months before the ice maker quit working and I ignored the light. I was convinced it was just a scam to sell more water filters. As it turns out...well you now know the rest of the story.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

Dead Ice Maker

We bought it used from someone else because the one we had died, we didn't have the money for a new one up front, and this one became available. I don't know if "they" ever used a filter and we have used a few changing the 6 months or so. The manual stated it (the filter) wasn't needed; just that the water in the door wouldn't be filtered. So I am thinking the water inlet valve has crapped out again. We can live without an icemaker for a while. I am just the type of sort not liking something not working when it is supposed to!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Dead Ice Maker

your refrig is probably old enough that it does not have its own filter. check the icemaker fill tube to be sure it is not frozen other wise you probably need a new valve
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #7

Dead Ice Maker

Do I have to dismantle the thing from the inside?? I have not wandered into taking apart our appliances yet. One note: we did wake up to a huge puddle of water in the floor when I believe an ice cube got stuck and it continued to fill. It put about a inch of water in the bottom drawer and everything else near the "dispenser box" was coated in a thin sheet of ice. Again: any/all help would be greatly appreciated.