Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

"Cracking" noise every evening/night

Every evening and/or night I seem to hear a "cracking" noise. It seems to be coming from the kitchen but I never make it on time to see what it is so it could be anything. It seems to always happen in the evening, or at night when I just went to bed. But I'm gone all day and only home in the evening/night so guess this means nothing.

I'm suspecting it is the fridge doing this, has anyone heard of a fridge doing noises like this? It almost sounds like ice or glass cracking. It usually starts as a loud TICK then changes pitch and does it again a few times. I'm suspecting it may be the defrost cycle. Is that a decent assumption?
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

It sounds to me you have a a RED SQUIRREL in your kitchen ceiling opening acorns. Or it could be your fridge making ice.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #3

Hot water baseboard?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Nope no hot water baseboard (only gas furnace and it does not run at night unless it gets below 10 degrees). Been in the attic already, quite clean up there, no squirrels or bugs, or other traces of any vermin. I doubt they would be able to handle the glass fiber dust very well. :p I made the mistake of going up there without a mask, came out pretty quick while choking lol.

Actually could it be a CCFL light? I have a CCFL lamp I leave on and only turn off before bed. Though sometimes it's on when I hear the noise. Another possibility is a window, think the seal could be cracking or something?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #5

Could it be a water pipe expanding and contracting and rubbing on the framing somewhere?
Is it ok to answer a question with a question?...lol

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Hmm don't think it would make that noise, but suppose I can't rule it out. The temp drops at night more then anything so it could cause something like this.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Household Handyman

Do you have an ice-maker? If so, these will make these type noises when dumping ice. These noises are more noticeable at night when everything is quiet, rather in the daytime when we are moving about or have a radio/TV on and other household noises. Try to pay extra attention when in the kitchen area and listen to hear your ice-maker dumping, that is IF you have one. After I told my sister to do this, she swears that the ice-maker is louder now than ever. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
Wire Chewer

Nope no ice maker.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #9

Is it a persistent noise or just a few cracks and it stops? If it's just a few cracks and stops it could just be settling noises with contraction from the temperature change in Ontario.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #10

Red S - is it coming from the refridgerator? Could it be related to the compressor running? That happens from time to time on my Fridgedaire.
LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
Is it a persistent noise or just a few cracks and it stops? If it's just a few cracks and stops it could just be settling noises with contraction from the temperature change in Ontario.
Seems to be a few ones only then it stops. It's hard to tell if it actually does it during the day or not as I'm at work, but I have not noticed it any other time, normally when I'm in bed before I sleep.

It could very well be structural settling like you say, seems kinda loud for that, but could be the hardwood floor too, it would probably resonate at that pitch.

I'd have to be around when it happens so I can hear better exactly where it's coming from.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviDIY View Post
Red S - is it coming from the refridgerator? Could it be related to the compressor running? That happens from time to time on my Fridgedaire.
I'm suspecting the fridge but not 100% on that. I can often hear when the compressor kicks in and it's a different sound, though.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Wire Chewer

I think I found what is causing the noise. It seems to in fact be the hardwood floor. I was adding weather strip around my door so the door was wide open for 10 minutes or so during this whole time so the temp dropped very fast in the living room, and the floor made cracking sounds. When I walked on it it was also cracking more then usual. Probably also has to do with the fact that it's been recently varnished. It's the old style hardwood with ~1.5" wide planks.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I think I found what is causing the noise. It seems to in fact be the hardwood floor. I was adding weather strip around my door so the door was wide open for 10 minutes or so during this whole time so the temp dropped very fast in the living room, and the floor made cracking sounds. When I walked on it it was also cracking more then usual. Probably also has to do with the fact that it's been recently varnished. It's the old style hardwood with ~1.5" wide planks.
Interestingly. I still occasionally hear that kind of noise. But it's coming from the opposite direction. The ceiling in my kitchen. After I installed a new 48" (T8) Fluorescent light I started hearing a crackling noise, sometimes like dripping water. I Scientifically determined (mainly by listening) that it's the metal (stud) frame of the ceiling that absorbs the heat of the fixture. It makes much less noise now. (No matter what)Don't Drink and Drive, ever!!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #15

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairDIY View Post
Could it be a water pipe expanding and contracting and rubbing on the framing somewhere?
Is it ok to answer a question with a question?...lol
It should be Okay. Due to a Mathematical equation. 2 Negatives Multiplied = Positive (-x-=+) I guess???
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote