Converting Electric Range To Dual-fuel? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Converting electric range to dual-fuel?

So, I get the idea that dual-fuel ranges are ideal because gas stoves are better and electric ovens heat faster. Never had a gas oven so can't really comment on that, but cooking on electric stove makes me want to shoot myself. It's always either too hot or not hot enough.

I bought a house that came with a Kenmore electric range. I want to know if it is possible to just replace the electric cooktop on the range with a gas cooktop? Or is my only option to buy a completely new range?

Thanks.

Advertisement

jmklump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 536

Sell the stove on Creigs list and just buy a new stove, there is no conversion kits to do this.
Not sure where you heard that there is any differace in speed of cooking in the two differant ovens, 350 deg. is 350 deg. no matter which one your cooking in. And both would take time to ramp up to temp.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not sure where you heard that there is any differace in speed of cooking in the two differant ovens, 350 deg. is 350 deg. no matter which one your cooking in. And both would take time to ramp up to temp.
I never said one cooks faster, just that electric gets up to desired temp much quicker and equalizes temp better. Is this wrong? It's what all these sites seem to suggest.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 536

Ever see them using an electric stove or oven on any of those cooking shows? Look in any commercial kitchen, everything will be gas not electric.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #5

Well, they obviously don't give enough of a close up on the inside of the ovens to tell, so not sure. Just asked my friend who is a sous chef at a 5-star restaurant in Vail, CO what they use and he wasn't even sure other than every oven was convection.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

I'm a gaget guy....but I would never attempt something like that. The internal design of a gas stove or oven is vastly different than electric.

As mentioned above...sell it...buy what you want.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Electric ovens are superior to gas ovens for baking because the heat is much drier...no moisture from gas combustion...so if you do a lot of baking that would be a reason for a dual fuel range. But they tend to be pricy compared to all gas or all electric because they are mostly only found in gourmet high-end lines.

Do you have a gas line running to the stove? If not, factor what is involved in getting one there into your calculations.

And no, you can't just swap out the electric cooktop. I mean you possibly could, depending on the model and how it is designed and whatnot, but in all likelihood the cost of the parts involved would exceed the price of a new stove and you would need to know what you were doing to make all the gas connections and test them properly.

Just get an all gas range unless you do a lot of bread baking.

Advertisement

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dual fuel , electric , gas conversion , range