Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #1

Share |

Converting an electric oven to gas

I bought an electric oven but I would prefer it to be gas...is it possible to convert it to gas?

Melrachelle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #2

take the electric one back and get a gas oven
you can't convert it to gas.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Not this again. How many times have we been spammed by this same question.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
In a little over my head

I bought a gas car, but I would prefer it to be electric...is it possible to convert it to electric?
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Bombastic Idiot

I can poke two wires into a chunk of Spam, plug it in and cook it in less than 15 seconds , what nozzles do I need so i can do the same with my propane torch?
I don't want it to splode tho, I hate esplodiated spam

Mel, don't listen to these folks.You can turn an electric oven into a gas one, if you have enough junk and parts laying around to turn an aerioplane into a submarine.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 08-20-2012 at 06:07 PM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
Mel, don't listen to these folks.You can turn an electric oven into a gas one, if you have enough junk and parts laying around to turn an aerioplane into a submarine.
Well, this certainly explains the growing need for EMT's.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishing View Post
I bought a gas car, but I would prefer it to be electric...is it possible to convert it to electric?
Actually it would be easier to do that, than what the spambot is asking.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
In a little over my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Actually it would be easier to do that, than what the spambot is asking.
How about an electric toothbrush?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #9

Yeah, I converted my electric toothbrush to run on gasoline. I powered it with a 2 cycle string trimmer by using a wigwag from a washing machine to get the back and forth motion.

Last edited by dogris; 08-22-2012 at 10:22 PM.
dogris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
In a little over my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogris View Post
Yeah, I converted my electric toothbrush to run on gasoline. I powered it with a 2 cycle string trimmer by using a wigwag from a washing machine to get the back and forth motion.
THAT's what I'm talking about!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #11

Some of you guys are jerks. I have the same question and can only assume no one has done it or can't think of any reason to do it. While doing a search, this is the only topic that came up so I'll ask again if anyone has converted an electric oven to gas. Why bother, you ask? Because I have a most excellent 1957 stainless steel french door oven (that is 220v) that fits perfectly into an Airstream I'm in the process of totally glamping out. I'm thinking I just buy an old oven that's gas (which can easily be converted to Propane) and use all the parts. I've heard there's a conversion kit but can't find one online anywhere. Has anyone actually ever done this? Are there some major differences in the ovens (not a stove top, just the oven) so it makes it impossible to do? I don't have a gas oven laying around to compare the two.
Thanks
Dismissive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
K&B Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismissive View Post
Are there some major differences in the ovens (not a stove top, just the oven) so it makes it impossible to do?
Thanks
Yes.

A sex change operation would be easier. At least the parts are kinda convertible there.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismissive View Post
Some of you guys are jerks. I have the same question and can only assume no one has done it or can't think of any reason to do it. While doing a search, this is the only topic that came up so I'll ask again if anyone has converted an electric oven to gas. Why bother, you ask? Because I have a most excellent 1957 stainless steel french door oven (that is 220v) that fits perfectly into an Airstream I'm in the process of totally glamping out. I'm thinking I just buy an old oven that's gas (which can easily be converted to Propane) and use all the parts. I've heard there's a conversion kit but can't find one online anywhere. Has anyone actually ever done this? Are there some major differences in the ovens (not a stove top, just the oven) so it makes it impossible to do? I don't have a gas oven laying around to compare the two.
Thanks
So, let me get this straight... You dredge up a year old post to call us jerks then expect help? do I have this right? Well, I suppose I have some free time before dinner.

OK, to change it from electric to gas...You will first need to source the gas parts to a similar oven. All of them. The inner walls of the oven will be needed as the gas oven walls do not have holes drilled in then like the electric ones do (element mounting brackets, etc).
You will need to get a new control panel to properly fit the gas control valve/knob. The electric ones are a lot different. You will need to get the floor panel for the oven as well as that is entirely different than the electric one. You will need to get the mounting brackets, gas valve and assorted mounting brackets, Gas lines, pilot assemblies and burner, and thermostat controls. Once you get this all done you will need to do some extensive testing to ensure it operates properly before installing it in your motorhome
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #14

Mr. Danpik: You sir, are not a jerk. You receive a full and complete pardon from jerkdom from now till infinity. (And you can let your wife know of said pardon as frequently as required. ; ) You answered an honest question completely, as one would expect, this being a do it yourself forum. You also saved me a bit of money, I didn't realize the ovens would have to be the same size. I had originally planned just replacing the elements with the gas tubes. So essentially, I will be placing the shell of my beautiful and irreplaceably stylish work of American 50's kitchen art over the inner workings of a modern propane stove. I'm sure I can retrofit the knobs, even if it means a little cutting and welding the get the proper ends and lengths correct. Thank you very much. Another step closer to having the coolest Antique Airstream in the Tri-state area.
Dismissive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Electrical Contractor

Another step closer to having the coolest Antique Airstream in the Tri-state area.

We would love to see pics.
We love pics here.