Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #1

Share |

Converting Electric to Gas stove

We are interested in converting from Electric to a Gas stove. The home is not currently set up for Gas stove. Is someone able to give any insight as to how big (or small) of a project this might be?
Thank you.
LaurynJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Do you have any gas supplied to the house now?
If not, then that is where you start. If you do, then you need to hire someone to evaulate the incoming gas and make sure the line can supply the extra load.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,.....

And it also matters whether you're looking at bottled Propane, or piped Natural Gas..........

Basically a line must be run from the Supply to the back of the Stove.......
But,......
As noted, at this point you need to set the parameters of the resourses available.........
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
so-elitecrete

a gas furnace, you've got adequate supply for a stove,,, just be sure you use black pipe,,, if you haven't done this work previously, probably now is not the time to start/learn, tho,,, piping for gas is similar to water 'cept when there's a water drip, houses don't explode !
so-elitecrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:02 AM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

A propane gas stove and a natural gas stove cannot use the other gas. You have to get the appliance made for the specific gas supply.
I agree that you should let your gas supply company or department hookup the line(s) for your gas stove. If you don't have it already, have them run lines that would also operate a central gas unit, in case you or a future owner might ever want to convert.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #6

My house has a Gas Range, and most people do not like it. I'm thinking of replacing the Gas with Electric. The opposite of you. The main reason is that it is slow to heat up. I bought the house with the Stove already installed.

But, I can say this... when I inquired to knowledgeable, but not professional, (plumers or electricians) people about moving the gas line in order to develop my basement, nobody would touch it. I only wanted the line moved 3 feet. As someone implied earlier, setting up a gas line is not a DIY project. Perhaps it's DIY if your quite knowledgeable and know a pipefitter and can arrange to have it properly tested, but for a newbie, it's not a good idea. Be sure you really want Gas.
CamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
remodeling pro

Depends on lots of things. If you have gas supply lines close by and easy access to the area of the stove from a crawl space or attic or basement, it is obviously much simplier than trying to run 50' of new supply line to an interior wall of a slab on grade house. I agree with the recommendations that running new gas piping is not a novice DIY job. Sure you can do it successfully (it is not rocket science as they say), but if unsuccessful, the results are pretty serious as you can imagine. Besides being technically illegal to do gas work without being licensed for it, should there be some type of catastrophe , when it comes to light that it resulted from unlicensed gas work being done, your insurance company will wave goodbye and walk away.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamL View Post
My house has a Gas Range, and most people do not like it. I'm thinking of replacing the Gas with Electric. The opposite of you. The main reason is that it is slow to heat up. I bought the house with the Stove already installed.
Anyone who cooks more than macaroni and cheese will prefer a gas range.

There's nothing more annoying to a serious cook than an electric range. Electric goes from off to hot in a few minutes. Gas goes from off to hot in 1 second. More importantly electric goes from hot to off in about 10 minutes! Turn gas off and it's off. With electric you have to constantly move stuff off the heat, instead of just switching off or turning down the heat.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 AM   #9

Dunno about ranges (where oven is also on gas) but most gas cooktops come with LP conversion kits. You replace valve orifices, and you can use propane instead of natural gas.

Also, I dunno how quickly does a gas OVEN heat up, but the cooktop burners are at the right temperature the moment you light the flame, what's slow about that? I presently have electric range, and those burners take forever to heat up, rapid temp control is nonexistent, and they take long to cool down. I hate it. Upcoming kitchen remodel, I am getting a separate gas cooktop and dual electric wall oven.

Fas as going to gas, it all depends on your piping. When putting piping for my oil-to-gas conversion, I ran a main to kitchen and added valved stubouts at the projected locations for cooktop and dryer - so when I need it, my gas line is in place. Unlikely to be so easy in your case.
scorrpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
12 year IBEW member

why not both? gas cooktop and electricc oven < look and you will find.
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #11

We replaced our old electric range with a dual fuel range - the cooktop is gas and the oven and warming drawer are electric. Best of both worlds for cooking. Ours is GE Profile and I love it.

We had an electrician upgrade the outlet ($100), and a plumber install a gas line to the stove ($150) If you already have gas in the house this is not a big deal at all.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #12

Are you sure it is legal for you to run the lines. My insurance company wanted a certificate from our gas company when we had propane installed.
RobertS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #13

I just converted from an electric range to gas. I wonder how I made it so long without a gas range. It is fantastic! The electrician charged $150 to change the outlet from 220 to 110, and the plumber charged $520 to make the connection. I already had gas heat and hot water from a natural gas supply, so I only needed the connectivity for the range. Expensive ordeal for me, but worth it in the end.
rola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #14

My wife and I just bought a house and will be moving in at the end of September. The appliances are old, and will likely require replacing soon. We would like to replace the electric range with gas. We do have nat gas to the house already as our furnace and hot water heater are nat gas. These are in the basement and I would estimate that the line (at least where the furnace is) is about 20ft from where the stove is in the kitchen. the house also has a nat gas fire place in the main floor living room, but that is probably also about 25-30ft from where the stove is in the kitchen.

Would the plumber/gasfitter need to rip out floor/ceiling (the basement is developed) to run a line to the kitchen. Can anyone recommend a good tradesmen in the Calgary area?
djdragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #15

I would guess that the plumber would have to remove anything that will expose the gas line pipes. I live in Massachusetts, so not sure about Calgary. Good luck...
rola is offline   Reply With Quote