Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Converting a dishwasher

Hi, i just moved into a house that has a built in dishwasher but it does not work.

I have a portable. Kenmore dishwasher that is amazing it works so good! I have seen that there are conversion kits available but that seems to be when you are installing the dishwasher to a place that did not have one before. So this one CAN be installed (I assume)

If I want to put the portable in place of the built in will i need the kit since there is already a dishwasher built in to the cabinets, plumbing and electric? And is this a pain to do? I hate to buy a new one when they portable I own works so well! My son in law is pretty handy but he is not a plumber!

Thank you in advance!

Nanna2Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Converting a dishwasher

Nanna---In order to help you,we will need the model number of the portable unit.

We need to see how it is done---the cost of the conversion kit and if the kit is still available.

My guess is this--the cost of converting the older unit will make the job impractical---

Old 07-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
jschaben

Converting a dishwasher

Dunno - sounds like it should just be a matter of stripping the box off the portable and sticking it in the hole. Nothing seems to be simple anymore. Years ago, when I remodeled the kitchen of the house we were in, I converted a portable to built in by just leaving a proper sized opening with the appropriate electrical and plumbing, stripping off the box and that was it... Good Luck

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 16

Converting a dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Dunno - sounds like it should just be a matter of stripping the box off the portable and sticking it in the hole.
Well, it can be done but it's not QUITE as easy as that.

The 'legs' on a portable are wheels on the bottom of the case. If you remove the case, you also remove the 'legs'. You will have to come up with some kind of base for it. The hose kit (drain and supply) also needs to be changed out. Not a big deal... the solinoid inlet is a normal outdoor hose thread and the do sell dishwasher lines with that attachment on the end. The drain line... any one inch tubing will do it.

It's not complicated and can be done, but it's also a bit more than just stripping the box off.
Bob Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
jschaben

Converting a dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Well, it can be done but it's not QUITE as easy as that.

The 'legs' on a portable are wheels on the bottom of the case. If you remove the case, you also remove the 'legs'. You will have to come up with some kind of base for it. The hose kit (drain and supply) also needs to be changed out. Not a big deal... the solinoid inlet is a normal outdoor hose thread and the do sell dishwasher lines with that attachment on the end. The drain line... any one inch tubing will do it.

It's not complicated and can be done, but it's also a bit more than just stripping the box off.
Absolutely right Bob!! I said it was years ago... like about 35 now that I think on it. I did have to do something with the wheels, don't recall exactly. The stickler was fixing an air gap in the drain system because I didn't want to have the thing sticking out on top of the counter.
My, time flies.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote