Connecting A Stove - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

connecting a stove

How do I connect a 3 prong stove to a 4 prong outlet?

Advertisement

Frans Swanepoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 524

connecting a stove

Rewire the stove with a 4 prong cord.

Advertisement

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

connecting a stove

You will need a 4 wire circuit as stated. It is quite dangerous to hook up a 4 wire appliance to a 3 wire circuit
Protocol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

connecting a stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocol. View Post
You will need a 4 wire circuit as stated. It is quite dangerous to hook up a 4 wire appliance to a 3 wire circuit
Where did you pull that jewel up? Only difference is that you have a Ground now, not a ground bonded to Neutral.

As for the OP question, you will need to go to either Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and get the proper rated cord for your stove. That means if it is a 30 amp circuit, 30 amp cord, 40 amp, 40 amp cord, which also would work with a 30 amp circuit. As for changing the wiring on the back of the stove, you need to remove the jumper from the Neutral terminal, that grounds the chassis to Neutral, then attach the ground lug on the cord, to the green screw on the chassis, or at a chassis point. Then neutral and the two hots hook up accordingly.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
hardwareman (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,060

connecting a stove

some of the "expert" advice on these forums is beyond comprehension.
gregzoll (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

connecting a stove

Should add, that a 3-wire stove or dryer is no inherently dangerous, than the same device connected via 4-wire. If that was the case, we would see a lot of incidents being reported, of all of those devices that are still connected via 3-wire.

Until I get around to it, my dryer is going to stay connected via 3-wire, which is fine under the rules at that time. Rules change for various reasons, and either get better, or if they decide that they made no difference, it will be noted in the next code roll.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

connecting a stove

I should clarify. While it isn't always dangerous it can be dangerous if he doesn't do it correctly.It would be much safer to run a 4 wire circuit. I also don't remember claiming I was an "expert".
Protocol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 524

connecting a stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocol. View Post
I should clarify. While it isn't always dangerous it can be dangerous if he doesn't do it correctly.It would be much safer to run a 4 wire circuit. I also don't remember claiming I was an "expert".
Please go back and read the first post again, He already has a 4 wire circuit. He needs to upgrade the stove to match it. The current stove is a 3 wire configuration. Besides, he was a one post and gone visitor so he/she is probably not even seeing this discussion

Advertisement

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote